[Canadian] Minnesota vs. MWU-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mover98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of Minnesota (UMN) [International]
Pros:
  • Improving curriculum to adapt to the new board exam
  • Opportunities for specialization afterwards
  • Great community services, especially their outreach requirement for graduation
  • Has a well-known reputation
Cons:
  • A bit worried about the clinical experience at UMN as I have not heard much about it

Midwestern-AZ [International]
Pros:
  • Great clinical exposure and high tech
  • 12-month full of sunshine type of weather
Cons:
  • Limited opportunity for specialization

Summary:
I’m a Canadian applicant and I’m not sure about specializing in the future yet (currently have my mind on becoming a GP). Cost is about the same for me as I am an international applicant, and I am grateful that it is not a problem in my personal case.
I know Midwestern-AZ is super strong with their clinical experience, has all the tech, newer facility, great weather (for someone coming from Canada lol); but Minnesota has the reputation, is improving its didactic curriculum, has great community service opportunities, and it opens more opportunities for specializing afterwards.
I do not know if I will be staying in the states after school or going back to Canada. However, if there is a possibility, I would like to stay in the states to practice for the first couple of years.

Members don't see this ad.

Mineesota. Only those choose MW that don't get in any other school. Who does say MW is clinically strong? MW itself. I went to 10 interviews this cycle including MW. Nothing there is better than any other dental school. Plus you are from Canada isnt weather up there similar to Minnesota :D .

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn’t Minnesota close to 100K every year after the first year? Cheaper school is always good to consider but If there is not a big difference in cost, I would go to Minnesota as it has a better reputation and possibility to specialize and tons of other opportunities

Isn’t Minnesota close to 100K every year after the first year? Cheaper school is always good to consider but If there is not a big difference in cost, I would go to Minnesota as it has a better reputation and possibility to specialize and tons of other opportunities
90k first year but then jumps to 130k the next 3