Canadian Nontrad. How can school be made affordable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jul059

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian with an engineering background (including a master's). I have a GPA of 3.7-3.85, depending on how you calculate it. I'm still waiting for my MCAT score and it will basically determine if I have good chances for Canadian schools or not.

I'm trying to understand the entire process in the United-States to better evaluate if it would be worthwhile to apply. The major hurdle I see is the cost of med school, especially for Canadians. A debt of 250k or more is completely out of the question for me. I read in other posts that some schools give tuition scholarships (based on merit I guess?) to some students. This makes a huge difference, and I would be willing to study in the United-States with a substantial partial tuition scholarship.

The problem is I'm having a hard time finding reliable information about 1. which schools give such help to students, 2. are Canadians eligible, 3. is it based solely on merit, 4. the amount of help you can get, 5. how can your parent's income affect you and 5. can we be assured we will get the aid/scholarship before the start of class. Can anyone help me with this? I am very unfamiliar with the American system.

For example, I read in a post about someone who was offered a "full tuition scholarship" to study at Pritzker. Do you get that offer after the interview based on unpublished criteria?

Matriculating into a school and hoping to get aid/scholarship later on is a gamble, and I'd rather improve my MCAT or ECs and try again in Canada later.

Members don't see this ad.