Canadian Pediatrician- working in Germany?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaddiS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Im wondering if somebody can provide me with some information- After I am done my residency in pediatrics in Canada I am wondering if it is possible for a Canadian pediatrician to work in Germany? Language courses needed? Licensing exams after our Canadian Boards are successfully written? Is the system fee for service or salary?
Thanks for the information!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is a bit late, but I only became active here recently.

Yes, you will have to learn German. While a large part of the population claims to know English, the majority does not. You'll be lucky if you come across the 31% that supposedly does speak and understand English. Dealing with children, you're not going to be finding any that speak English. This means you're not going to get hired.

On top of that, an additional difficulty you'll face is the large number of Turkish people who don't speak German, nor English. In pediatrics, you'll enjoy working with them, trust me. Some will even have lived in Germany their whole lives and still don't speak German.

If you don't know German at all, you're not going to get far, unless you're into research. You will likely need to get to C-level to be allowed to practice here, and that will be roughly a year at full-time.

I also have to ask: Are conditions that bad in Canada that you'd want to come to Germany? I understand German universities are great for medicine, but working in Germany in medicine is about one of the worst places in the industrialized world. As it is, Germany can't (and also in their typical fashion) and doesn't do anything about it, choosing to ignore yet another social problem.

Check out some of my recent posts about the conditions in German medicine. I have to admit, it really blew my mind that someone wants to come out here to practice medicine.