Canadian Pharmacy Schools: Should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtles91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I've wanted to be a pharmacist since I was in elementary school but I've lost hope and I don't think I should even bother. Here's my story:
Did a couple years of undergrad at UW and failed a lot of courses due to major depression (that was diagnosed when I was in first year), family death, and my father losing his job). My average was 50% (0.7). I dropped out and am now finishing my undergrad at another university. My current GPA 2.7 but am hoping to raise it by the end of my final semester here. I've taken the PCAT 3x and didn't do well (grandparent was in hospital and death when I took it the first 2, and I'm not sure why I didn't do well on my most recent one). I purchased practice tests from Pearson and did a mock exam and did great. But I flunked the actual PCAT (percentile for all sections was 40 but reading comprehension was extremely low). Toronto's PCAT minimum are around 20s and 40s as well but I've heard most applicants have a 85+ percentile when applying.
I've worked as a pharmacy assistant for about 5 years now at 2 different pharmacies and I teach another language as well every Saturday.
Should I bother applying to any pharmacy schools or should I just quit? If I were to quit, I honestly don't even know what else I could do with just a general science degree. I'm also 25 and I feel like I'm getting way too old.

Sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

How competitive is pharm school in Canada ? how many schools are there in total up there?

@Turtles91 your experience is excellent. I'm assuming 2.7 is your overall GPA including all university courses taken. It sounds like you're pretty set on being a pharmacist, so despite low chances, apply to Toronto, Saskatchewan, and UBC. Apply to UW if you can get your average up to 75%. Would recommend applying for at least 3 years if you're really serious about this.

Your chances of immediate success aren't good; I would suggest going to college to become a registered tech so you can start making a good wage in the mean time.

@Hohohee1 there are 8 English and 2 French pharm schools in Canada