Canadian practicing Dentist want to move to California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent@28

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I did my dentistry in India and moved to Canada in 2009, I completed my direct equivalency requirements in 2011 and have been practicing in Canada since 2012. I did not have to go back to university as I took the direct licensing route. I wish to move to California in future but I am not sure if I am required to go back to school or there is a direct licensing option there as well.

Any tips/experiences shared are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to go to school for 2 years

Reactions: 1 user
You would need to do a qualifying program of at least 2 years whether it be in Canada or the US. You would then need to take the US national boards and take the practical licensing exams (ie. WREB) before becoming licensed. You can always contact the California state licensing board if you have questions regarding this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I did my dentistry in India and moved to Canada in 2009, I completed my direct equivalency requirements in 2011 and have been practicing in Canada since 2012. I did not have to go back to university as I took the direct licensing route. I wish to move to California in future but I am not sure if I am required to go back to school or there is a direct licensing option there as well.

Thanks!
Hey man .how is practice in canada after direct equivalency route.? Is it any different in earning / getting job potential if we do school after afk?

Hey man .how is practice in canada after direct equivalency route.? Is it any different in earning / getting job potential if we do school after afk?
Yes it is better if you have graduated from a qualifying program for sure

Yes it is better if you have graduated from a qualifying program for sure
Well someone told me opposite as dental schools in North America (read toronto and BC schools) don't have that huge rush of clinical patients as u get in asian country. ( read india/china) to practice your skills.

Hello,

Thanks!
Hi, I hear the equivalency process in Canada is very difficult and time-consuming. You have done good...why do you want to move to California at this point?