CANADIAN resident wanting to do US fellowship - USMLE required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GewoW

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a first year derm resident in Canada. I am interested in potentially completing a fellowship in the US. I am wondering if there is an absolute requirement to pass all USMLEs even with both LMCCs passed and both Canadian and US derm board exams passed.

I know this limits you in J1 vs H1B visa, but if I am planning on returning, do most states accept LMCCs for the purpose of J1? I have seen this: http://www.ama-assn.org//ama/pub/ab...e/state-licensure-board-requirements-img.page
Is this info all that is needed? Can a school require USMLE certification even though that state doesn't? If yes, short of calling every school to find out, is there any other way of knowing?

If anyone who can shed some light, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a first year derm resident in Canada. I am interested in potentially completing a fellowship in the US. I am wondering if there is an absolute requirement to pass all USMLEs even with both LMCCs passed and both Canadian and US derm board exams passed.

I know this limits you in J1 vs H1B visa, but if I am planning on returning, do most states accept LMCCs for the purpose of J1? I have seen this: http://www.ama-assn.org//ama/pub/ab...e/state-licensure-board-requirements-img.page
Is this info all that is needed? Can a school require USMLE certification even though that state doesn't? If yes, short of calling every school to find out, is there any other way of knowing?

If anyone who can shed some light, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

You should contact the licensing authority in the state where you want to do your fellowship and ask them what they will accept in the way of Canadian credentials. The training institution wants to know you can obtain a medical licence in their state. I don't believe the school can insist you have passed all USMLEs if you plan to enter the U.S. with a J-1 Visa.
You should also contact the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program, part of the ECFMG which sponsors doctors for the J-1 Visa, and ask them if the LMCC is acceptable for your application for J sponsorship.
When you write "USMLE certification" do you mean having passed all USMLE exams? (there is no such thing as USMLE certification).

For an H1B visa, the USMLEs are required.

hi
i am an IMG graduate ( medical school outside of north america), US citizen and now on my final year in general surgery residency program in CANADA. so i am going to be a board certified FRCSC and board eligiable for FACS.
my question is, i would like to do a fellowship in the states, does all fellowship programs and states requires me to have USMLE ( i dont have them) to get a limited/temprory/ trainee license??

thanks for your help!!