Canadian senior here. What can I do if I don't get in anywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior getting my degree in Medical Sciences. Average GPA is around 3.3-ish, and my MCAT is also average (24; haven't re-taken it because I was starting to doubt myself).

What can I do when I graduate university and don't get in anywhere? Should I take a 5th year of random courses? AFAIK my university doesn't do Post-Bacc; I think that's a USA thing only.

What would be the steps if I wanted to reapply?

EDIT: I guess I'm mostly just confused on one thing. If I applied next year and obviously wouldn't be in school for that time, would the schools just look at the 4 years of undergrad I did? Or do I need to be IN school when applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
EDIT: I guess I'm mostly just confused on one thing. If I applied next year and obviously wouldn't be in school for that time, would the schools just look at the 4 years of undergrad I did? Or do I need to be IN school when applying?

You don't need to be in school to apply. You DO need to spend the year improving your application, whether it's retaking classes, retaking the MCAT, working in a health related field, or doing community service. (or all of the above). If you don't get in this year and just reapply next year without improving anything, you're just throwing your money away on application fees. It's better to take 2 years to improve your application (if necessary) than jump right back in to application season without making yourself a stronger applicant.

You don't need to be in school to apply. You DO need to spend the year improving your application, whether it's retaking classes, retaking the MCAT, working in a health related field, or doing community service. (or all of the above). If you don't get in this year and just reapply next year without improving anything, you're just throwing your money away on application fees. It's better to take 2 years to improve your application (if necessary) than jump right back in to application season without making yourself a stronger applicant.

Thanks mate, that's somewhat of a relief. I've been volunteering with various groups and health clinics (Canada Blood Services), and have been a part of several clubs at my uni for 3-4 years. I think I could spend a year improving my application if it came to it.

Thanks!

You should always have Plan B.

I'm a senior getting my degree in Medical Sciences. Average GPA is around 3.3-ish, and my MCAT is also average (24; haven't re-taken it because I was starting to doubt myself).

What can I do when I graduate university and don't get in anywhere? Should I take a 5th year of random courses? AFAIK my university doesn't do Post-Bacc; I think that's a USA thing only.

What would be the steps if I wanted to reapply?