1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Canadian student applying to BSc Pharmacy across country.

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by StHeart, Aug 10, 2011.

1. StHeart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi all,

My name is Danny, age 24, and I'm currently studying at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec. I have been working on obtaining credits for the prerequisite first year University courses demanded by most of the BSc Pharmacy programs across Canada, with a specific focus on 2 or 3 universities I most wish to attend, UBC and UofT being among them. I'd like to ask the opinions of people who have been applicants to those Universities or others like them in the past.

I first got into Concordia's English Literature Major program, and my grades resulted in me being kicked out for a year, these are my grades since I started:

Fall 2007
    POETRY B+
    RESTORATION & EARLY 18TH C
    BIOMEDICAL ETHICS D+
    ENCOUNTERING WORLD RELIGIONS C

Winter 07-08
    INTRO. TO LITERARY STUDY F
    BRITISH LIT. 1660 TO 1900 DISC
    INTRO TO POLITICAL SCIENCE F

30/04/08 ASSESSED: FAILED - MAY NOT REGISTER WITHOUT SPECIAL PERMISSION

Certificate In Arts & Science

01/09/09 RE-ADMITTED ON PROBATION - MUST ATTAIN ACCEPTABLE STANDING

Fall 2009
    INTRODUCTORY BIOLOGY A
    FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS-ALGEBRA F

Fall-Winter 09-10
    INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY A+

Winter 09-10
    GENERAL CHEMISTRY I B+
    ELEMENTARY FUNCTIONS A+

Fall 2010
    BIODIVERSITY AND ECOLOGY A
    GENERAL CHEMISTRY II A+
    DIFFERENTIAL&INTEGRAL CAL I A+

Winter 10-11
    INTRO - ORGANIC CHEMISTRY I A
    DIFFERENTIAL&INTEGRAL CAL II A+
    MECHANICS A+
    INTRO EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS A

Fall 2011
    FORM & FUNCTION OF ORGANISMS
    INTRO - ORGANIC CHEMISTRY II
    DISCOVER STATISTICS
    ELECTRICITY & MAGNETISM
    INTRO EXPERIMENT ELECTRICITY

I have been volunteering at the Montreal General Hospital for the summer and have almost 40 hours. I'm not sure where I will get my LOR's since I dont really form relationships with my professors. I'm taking the PCAT in January and applying in February. I appreciated any advice that may help me in my application.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 1ive2die

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey dude,

Have you considered applying to Universite Laval and U de Montreal? You might have a better shot at those schools since I believe they get fewer applicants.

Also you should consider applying to Waterloo University in Ontario since you will have some volunteer experience. Volunteer/ECs are big at Waterloo in terms of admission. U of T unfortunately at this time only looks at GPA, PCAT and interview if you make it that far. However I will say that U of T's admission standards have gone down the last few years with the introduction of the PCAT and interview due to fewer people applying so you would have a better shot than before.

Those Fs and Cs may be hard to explain but I commend you on all your As. Perhaps you can mention that on your supplemental application.

Not sure what other advice to give. If pharmacy is really what you want you'll find a way to get in somewhere. Good luck and pm if you have any questions about applying to U of T or Waterloo since I was accepted at both this year.

4. chemguy79

chemguy79 New Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I think that those schools teach only in French and given that the student is at Concordia, the OP's French may not be up to snuff. I speak fluent French and I would probably have a hard time in a pharmacy program taught solely in French.

5. StHeart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi 1ive2die, as chemguy79 rightly guessed, I am much more comfortable studying in English even though my French is competent, so I'd much preferably avoid going to U Laval and U de Montreal. Congrats on being accepted to U of T and Waterloo, I'd guess you're going to U of T? The thing about the admissions info on U of T's site that worries me is this:

- amongst their years of study at the university level have carried a full course load in at least one academic session, i.e. a minimum of 5.0 full credit equivalents from September to April

Which I have not done. Would you say that they might consider me even with that fact?

As for the past bad grades, most of them were about 3 years ago when I was going to school with no clear goal, doing English lit and going through depression (what an excuse, eh?). The only bad grade I had upon returning to school was the F in Algebra which I'm hoping they'd disregard, since my PreCal/Cal I/Cal II courses are A+. I'm happy to hear they pay attention to an upward grade trend, which I'm hoping to keep up :p

I had almost forgotten about Waterloo but I just looked it up and it helped me decide what other courses would help me, namely Genetics, Biochem, and Microbiology. And the site says applications start August 15th, wow that's soon :O haha. Thanks!

6. OChemTA

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Why have your course load been so light?

Your grades are excellent, and show an amazing trend, but TBH, I would be wary of admitting you if I was in admissions... the pharmacy curriculum is very demanding (did 2 yrs of pharmacy at the U of A) and so far, you haven't taken a single year of full course load.

If you could do a year with full course load (30creds in academic year - 8 mos) then I would say you have a v. good chance at UBC

Also, you need to do the pre-reqs courses...

7. StHeart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi OChemTA, thank you for your input. The light course is indeed a concern. I had been working 1-2 days a week as a bartender at my father's bar during these sessions. The only university I know of that outright states they are looking for at least a year's full course load is U of T (although I know it might be implicit for all of them). I am hoping that doing well in the next term (4 courses and a lab, including Physics II and Ochem II, yikes) as well as scoring above, say, the 85-90 percentile in my PCAT would greatly help my cause. Any more opinions on this are welcomed!

Do you believe that doing my 13 credit Fall 11 semester and then, say, another 4 course semester in Winter 12 gives me a chance of being accept at UBC or UofT?

Also, what courses do you recommend I register for in the Winter 12 session? I am registering for Biochem and Molecular Genetics so far.

#6 StHeart, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. OChemTA

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Uhh... try to do the full 15 credit per term (5 courses per semester)... I'm only familiar with admissions at the U of A and UBC, and I know for a fact that U of A is concerned with your course loads. It makes sense... pharmacy is a 30 credit per 8 months, so they're going to want to see that you can handle a full 30 credit per 2 semesters. Also, working 1-2 days a week is not really a great excuse for such a low course load... there are many students who work on the weekends, maintain a good gpa and have a full course load.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to get higher gpa when you have a lighter course load... and admissions knows this.

I would advice you to maintain your GPA, but take a full course load for the next year (finish all your pre-reqs aka you still need a full year of english since you failed them). I wouldn't worry about the PCAT cause it's really easy... especially if you're doing so well gpa wise (I got 93th percentile and only read over kaplan once... 2 weeks of prep)