Canadian Student Going to the US - Scholarships and Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjjhjjj

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be a Canadian student entering a DO program in the US starting in August. I was trying to find the best loan opportunities out there as well as scholarship opportunities.

Which bank would you guys recommend? I had TD and CIBC in mind, but I guess it is up to whoever gives me the most line of credit.

Also, in terms of scholarships, are there any Canadian or US scholarships that are tailored to students like myself studying in the US?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Some (fewer than you'd think) MD schools offer some merit-based or need-based scholarships. DO schools tend to rarely offer any since the next person on the waitlist would gladly pay full price. The state DO schools do offer some merit-based scholarships but usually requires very high stats (think 3.9/510+).

Are you going to a private or state DO school?

I've heard that Canada will pay off your loans if you agree to work in underserved areas for a few years. You might want to look into that if your COA is >400k. Otherwise, if you plan on staying in the US it might be best to go into private practice.
Thank you for your reply! The school I'm attending unfortunately has no financial aid for internationals :(

My plan is to stay in the US so yes private practice will be the road to paying off debt..

I wanted to see if there were any opportunities pre-/during school that could help me covering the costs as a Canadian.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are interested in primary care most schools/states have a primary care pathway that'll cover your tuition (and sometimes living expenses) for 4 years in return for a 4-6 year commitment to practice in that state (some with the stipulation that you practice in a underserved/rural area) after residency.

First you need to find a lender who even knows what a DO is in Canada. We have osteopathic practitioners and it creates a hell of a mess if you are dealing with someone who has no idea we are actual doctors.
CIBC is apparently the best one for this. If you post in the Facebook group (osteopathic medicine for Canadians), people recommend the actual person they used so they know what we do.