Canadian Student looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cc_h

Reaction score
Ok so I started university doing my preqreqs for dental school this year. However Ive been seeing so many threads online saying how dentistry is really saturated and will only get worse. Many say that major cities have a big saturation problem. Edmonton has a lot of clinics like some right across from each other. However I counted how many clinics there were here (98) and averaged 3 dentists per clinic. Based on the population the ratio of dentist to patient is 1:3337 which seems very good. However, I was asking a question on reddit and an American dentist told me that Canasa is hypersaturated and that I could expect to make 100-120k a year here. Someone else told me that if you have no family in dentistry, to avoid it. Many people also say that those days are gone where dentists could choose their hours and work 4 times a week. Ive also seen posts from dentists telling people to avoid it all together because of how saturated the industry is getting. I became less and less inteested in dentistry as this school year went on and became inteeested in switching into engineering. I thought it was my passion and was ready to pursue. But I have np idea what happened but yesterday I had this weird change of heart where I thought that dentistry is for me. Even after knowing about the back pain, high stress procedures, decreasing pay, saturation, and high debt. I just wanted to ask some dentists here, is it still worth pursuing? I really dont want to end up going down this path only to end up with sad and with regret, losing any interest I used to have.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are some key threads to read on premed101, a forum more geared towards Canadians

tl;dr
The barrier to entry compared to medicine is lower hence the rise in supply > rise in demand
Corporate dentistry is coming
Might not be a bad idea to look for other careers while considering dentistry

I find that my lack of passion for anything is an asset as I can tolerate a variety of jobs as long as it brings me enough money to enjoy time with family.
If you are in the same boat, keep as many doors open and see which one has the least gloomy outlook.

Last edited:
I'm also a current dental student and I mirror your concerns as well. My advice would be to look into specializations and look for opportunities in America. As for all the negative opinions you see, note that while they may attempt to represent the general trend and sentiment, there's a lot of bias and pessimism mixed in there as well.

I think the bigger concern here is potentially your slow loss in interest. I don't think I have to explain why this is bad - you're just asking for a burnout. What is it that got you interested in dentistry to begin with?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also a current dental student and I mirror your concerns as well. My advice would be to look into specializations and look for opportunities in America. As for all the negative opinions you see, note that while they may attempt to represent the general trend and sentiment, there's a lot of bias and pessimism mixed in there as well.

I think the bigger concern here is potentially your slow loss in interest. I don't think I have to explain why this is bad - you're just asking for a burnout. What is it that got you interested in dentistry to begin with?
Are things any better in the US than canada? And are the specialties any better? Have you spoken to people or are you just assuming this?

Are things any better in the US than canada? And are the specialties any better? Have you spoken to people or are you just assuming this?
1. Bigger market, privatized medicine, stricter licensing and dental equivalency requirements than Canada makes my America argument relevant for OP's comment on fiscal concerns.

2. Depends on what you mean "better". Define it and I'll get back to you.

3. Yup, I have family, mentors and friends who are oral surgeons and dentists.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

I was actually interested in engineering but do not really love working in a cubicle. Dentistry allows for cool engineering work but there is a lot of public interaction which is why I considered it. I also learned about its perks such as choosing your own hours and making pretty good money (120k-200k depending on experience). Which province are you from?

Reactions: 1 user
It's not looking good for dentistry especially after the financial crisis of 2008-2009. Keep in mind the massive number of foreign trained dentists entering Canada through the equivalency process which due to looser requirements this has dramatically increased in the past 5-7 years