Canadian Student Seeking Financial Aid Options and Advice for US Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opto1023

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crossposted

Hey everyone,

Iv been accepted into Optometry school in the US and I am looking into ways to receive funding for tuition and living expenses etc. With the conversion rate its very expensive and even with the max amount of loans from the Canadian Government I would still be short by thousands of dollars a year. My family doesn't have any home equity so Home line of credits from the bank are not an option and I don't have a strong enough co-signer (needed when studying abroad) to be eligible for the full 125K student line of credit from any of the banks here, and even if I was I would still be short funds.

Do the schools themselves provide funding or loans for students in similar situations?

If there are any other Canadian students in a similar situation or if you know of any Canadians who have gone through this please send your experiences and feedback. If you know of any alternative ways to receive funding (EXCLUDING PRIVATE LOANS) please feel free to let me know.

Note: I have looked into scholarships provided by the school but even with a couple of those that are even eligible for a Canadian student I would still need a huge chunk to fill the gap. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.