Canadian Student to U.S.A.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:

I was born in Toronto, Canada. I came here for university on a visa, but my visa will be done soon. When I go back to Canada, I want to apply to a US dental school.

My problem is that I have no idea how this works into the admissions process. What visa will I need inorder to apply from Canada to US? Will I need the visa BEFORE I apply? Or after I am accepted? Also, which schools accept international students? Any help would be useful.

pce,

bus.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by busupshot83
What visa will I need inorder to apply from Canada to US? Will I need the visa BEFORE I apply? Or after I am accepted?

I'm not sure how this works out for Canadians citizens. But for most of the world,
1. first you apply to school
2. when admitted and you show proof of financial resources (show them the money)
3. you'll get issued an I-20 form
4. then with that form you apply for student visa.

Basically the only way to get a student visa is AFTER your admitted into some US school.

Originally posted by meggs
I'm not sure how this works out for Canadians citizens. But for most of the world,
1. first you apply to school
2. when admitted and you show proof of financial resources (show them the money)
3. you'll get issued an I-20 form
4. then with that form you apply for student visa.

Basically the only way to get a student visa is AFTER your admitted into some US school.

Meggs,

I want to thank you so much for that fast response. All the best.

bus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools are "International-applicant" friendly?

You're welcome.

Originally posted by busupshot83
Which schools are "International-applicant" friendly?

I wouldn't know in your case, since you're applying to the regular DDS program. But I guess better try to stick with private schools and not soo picky public ones.

I just got the heads-up from Musketeer, over at the Pre-dent forums, that my best bet would be a Private schools (NYU, etc.). I will be treated, in most cases, like the other applicants. Thanks again.

pce,

bus.

I have another question Meggs:

Is the F1 I-20 Visa the one I will need?

Also, when I'm done my studying in the USA, how will go about practicing and working there? What would I need to do?

busupshot83 said:
I have another question Meggs:

Is the F1 I-20 Visa the one I will need?

Also, when I'm done my studying in the USA, how will go about practicing and working there? What would I need to do?

Yes, you will need F-1 visa, after you graduate you can apply for OPT which is valid for a year, then you will have to find someone to sponsor your visa, most probably TN , which you will have to re-new every year.

rajkang said:
canadians dont need F1 visa, they get I-94 from border officer without having to go to us embassy to get F1 visa.
2nd u have to apply for OPT before graduating.
3rd For TN u dont need sponsorship, u just need employer's letter offering work.
4th U can also work on H1.

wow rajkang :wow:
U deserve a "SDN VISA MASTER AWARD"-if there is one :smuggrin:

rajkang said:
canadians dont need F1 visa, they get I-94 from border officer without having to go to us embassy to get F1 visa.
3rd For TN u dont need sponsorship, u just need employer's letter offering work.
Canadian's don't need F-1 visa to come to the US, but to study and stay here as a student you do need it along with I-94 ( I got it from the border ). They do insist that you don't it, but it makes your life much easier if you have it stamped in your passport.
You are right , you have to apply for it before you graduate but it'll be effective only after you graduate.

rajkang said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. However, I am unaware of the following:

1) What is an "OPT?"
2) What is a "TN?"

Thanks.

For the TN visa go to the sticky thread "Links of interest....." and look for the immigration link to that visa.

Thanks Raj, thanks Meggs :) .

you don't need an opt. I graduated, got a job and then a TN. OPT can take more than 3 months to get and the TN is given to you in 15 min at the border.

busupshot83 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. However, I am unaware of the following:

1) What is an "OPT?"

Employment Authorization for Foreign Students
http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/articles/2001,0118-Shusterman.shtm

I'll be adding this to the immigration post on the sticky thread.
If I find something else I'll add it there, instead of here. So check there.
Hope this helps.