• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
37
Texas
Status (Visible)
Here's my situation:

I was born in Toronto, Canada. I came here for university on a visa, but my visa will be done soon. When I go back to Canada, I want to apply to a US dental school.

My problem is that I have no idea how this works into the admissions process. What visa will I need inorder to apply from Canada to US? Will I need the visa BEFORE I apply? Or after I am accepted? Also, which schools accept international students? Any help would be useful.

pce,

bus.
 

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
1,726
7
www.gingermeggs.com
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by busupshot83
What visa will I need inorder to apply from Canada to US? Will I need the visa BEFORE I apply? Or after I am accepted?

I'm not sure how this works out for Canadians citizens. But for most of the world,
1. first you apply to school
2. when admitted and you show proof of financial resources (show them the money)
3. you'll get issued an I-20 form
4. then with that form you apply for student visa.

Basically the only way to get a student visa is AFTER your admitted into some US school.
 

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
37
Texas
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by meggs
I'm not sure how this works out for Canadians citizens. But for most of the world,
1. first you apply to school
2. when admitted and you show proof of financial resources (show them the money)
3. you'll get issued an I-20 form
4. then with that form you apply for student visa.

Basically the only way to get a student visa is AFTER your admitted into some US school.

Meggs,

I want to thank you so much for that fast response. All the best.

bus.
 
About the Ads

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
37
Texas
Status (Visible)
I just got the heads-up from Musketeer, over at the Pre-dent forums, that my best bet would be a Private schools (NYU, etc.). I will be treated, in most cases, like the other applicants. Thanks again.

pce,

bus.
 

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
37
Texas
Status (Visible)
I have another question Meggs:

Is the F1 I-20 Visa the one I will need?

Also, when I'm done my studying in the USA, how will go about practicing and working there? What would I need to do?
 

Henna

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2001
2,895
4
California
Status (Visible)
busupshot83 said:
I have another question Meggs:

Is the F1 I-20 Visa the one I will need?

Also, when I'm done my studying in the USA, how will go about practicing and working there? What would I need to do?

Yes, you will need F-1 visa, after you graduate you can apply for OPT which is valid for a year, then you will have to find someone to sponsor your visa, most probably TN , which you will have to re-new every year.
 

dentaldoc

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
739
2
Status (Visible)
rajkang said:
canadians dont need F1 visa, they get I-94 from border officer without having to go to us embassy to get F1 visa.
2nd u have to apply for OPT before graduating.
3rd For TN u dont need sponsorship, u just need employer's letter offering work.
4th U can also work on H1.


wow rajkang :wow:
U deserve a "SDN VISA MASTER AWARD"-if there is one :smuggrin:
 

Henna

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2001
2,895
4
California
Status (Visible)
rajkang said:
canadians dont need F1 visa, they get I-94 from border officer without having to go to us embassy to get F1 visa.
2nd u have to apply for OPT before graduating.
3rd For TN u dont need sponsorship, u just need employer's letter offering work.
4th U can also work on H1.
Canadian's don't need F-1 visa to come to the US, but to study and stay here as a student you do need it along with I-94 ( I got it from the border ). They do insist that you don't it, but it makes your life much easier if you have it stamped in your passport.
You are right , you have to apply for it before you graduate but it'll be effective only after you graduate.
 

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
37
Texas
Status (Visible)
rajkang said:
canadians dont need F1 visa, they get I-94 from border officer without having to go to us embassy to get F1 visa.
2nd u have to apply for OPT before graduating.
3rd For TN u dont need sponsorship, u just need employer's letter offering work.
4th U can also work on H1.

Thanks everyone for the replies. However, I am unaware of the following:

1) What is an "OPT?"
2) What is a "TN?"

Thanks.
 

DrRob

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
376
3
45
Ontario
Status (Visible)
you don't need an opt. I graduated, got a job and then a TN. OPT can take more than 3 months to get and the TN is given to you in 15 min at the border.
 

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
1,726
7
www.gingermeggs.com
Status (Visible)
busupshot83 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. However, I am unaware of the following:

1) What is an "OPT?"

Employment Authorization for Foreign Students
http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/articles/2001,0118-Shusterman.shtm

I'll be adding this to the immigration post on the sticky thread.
If I find something else I'll add it there, instead of here. So check there.
Hope this helps.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.