1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Canadian Student who needs advice

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jeet323, Dec 21, 2008.

1. jeet323

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello, I am studying Biochem in Canada in my 3rd year. I have roughly a 3.7 GPA and a slightly higher science average. I have been volunteering at Canadian blood services since highschool and I have also been volunteering at my local hospital in the ER over the past few months. I plan to get 100+ hours by the summer and write my MCAT as well. Unfortunately I have yet to get involved with any research but I plan to do that as my 4th year thesis and possibly in the summer as well. What are my chances? Should I apply after I write my MCAT in the summer? Or should I wait until after my 4th year once I get more research experience? Also, I have been looking over the boards and I noticed advice on shadowing a doctor, how do I get involved with that? In my city there is no teaching hospital as my University is not that big. Also, my first choice would be getting accepted in Canada, but if not, I would definitly be open to med schools in the states. What are my chances? Thanks for your help and I would appreciate any feedback.

#1 jeet323, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. schnauzr

schnauzr New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Overall, you seem to be doing fine.
    Your GPA is fine.
    Your chance will vary greatly depending on your MCAT score and the schools you apply to.
    Research experience is favoured upon but it's not by any means a necessity so don't worry.
    As for shadowing, it's a bit more difficult to do in Canada than in the states.
    If you have any personal connection to a doctor, this is the time to make good use of it.
    Otherwise, you could try contacting clinics on the phone book or on the internet and hopefully they'll let you come in and shadow the doctor.
    The concept of shadowing a physician as a pre-med isn't as widespread in Canada as it is in the US, so you might have to be extra persuasive.
    I actually couldn't find a doctor to shadow, but there are some who did, so I hope you'll find someone.

4. Sydney Pierce

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi! I am Canadian and I have just been accepted into an American medical school. I did not have any formal 'shadowing' experience, but I had a great deal of clinical exposure, both with patients and physicians. I volunteered in a physician's office (he was a family friend and let me observe some appointments) and got really involved while volunteering at the hospital. Does your institution have an internship program or something? I got to experience a lot of cool things (more than what a volunteer can do) bc I was part of a university program. Good luck!

5. 4goneconclusion

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just a heads-up, American schools convert to GPA differently depending on what Canadian school you're from. My OMSAS gpa was 3.8, that changed to a 3.97 (!) because I graduated from Western. The Premed101 forums have conversion scales but I have no idea how legit they are. I can just vouch for their Western scale and UofT scale (which is less favourable).

...That being said, I have 0 interviews with my 3.97, so maybe they adjust based on what school you're from? lol.