canadian student with B.Sc-->Uk Bsc optom--> back to canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicslover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a Canadian complted my B.Sc. if I wanted to go to UK, get their B.Sc(optometry program) and come back to practice here, how easy woudl that be?

I went to Waterloo's website about their International Bridging Program. Since I have a 4 year undergrad education, and would complete their 4 year optometry program in the UK, i would not need to work for 3 years. And they said you would have to do Prior learning assesmen and then be put into the either 8 week transition or 1 year transition.

How is the test, If anyone has done it? Is this a fairly difficult process? Are the UK optometrist trained well enough to pass this test? Is it redundant to do another Bachelors degree?
So many questionssssss :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also considering studying optometry in the UK and then doing Waterloo's bridging program. It seems simple enough and from what I understand many Canadian students choose this option. However, the thing I'm puzzled about is that the bridging program requires a 4 year optometry degree but pretty much all the optometry programs in the UK are 3 years. So how would this work?

you do the 3 year in UK and 1 year pre-reg, which is like a clinical rotation I believe where you get paid to practice but very little. 3 years + 1 year pre-reg also qualifies for the waterloo bridging program, it says so on their site somewhere.