Canadian student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Born in canada,

My gpa based on American scale is 3.65.

MCAT: 36

Do you guys think I got a good shot?

Members don't see this ad.

Born in canada,

My gpa based on American scale is 3.65.

MCAT: 36

Do you guys think I got a good shot?
The answer would depend on BCPM GPA, how comprehensive your ECs are, what country you plan to apply to, what type of schools you plan to target (DO and/or MD), and whether you are a "special snowflake" in any way.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Solid stats for US MD Schools, assuming you have half-decent ECS. Apply broadly to all low-tier and mid-tiers that take internationals.

Yeah sorry about that guys, was not sure of the layout.

Sorry, my cGPA turns out to actually be 3.75 and my BPCM is around 3.65

MCAT 36: (PS/VR/BS)(12/11/13)

EC: 50 hours of hospital volunteering
2 Family Physicians shadowing: about 20 hours each
Assistant in a public school assisting kids and their teachers
Tutor for 1 summer

To be honest, I'm not sure of which schools to apply to. My mom's cousin's husband is a family doctor in a new york hospital. I'm not sure if I can take advantage of that in any way. Anyways, I wanted to get in a mid-tier or low-tier in either california, virginia, new york or anywhere around.

If would appreciate if you guys can give me some insight now as I added some more information.

Also, would I have to complete 4 years of UG or can I apply after I finished my third year. I want to get my BSc (will have 90 credits at end of third year) and just leave, haha. I want that white coat!

Thanks a lot boys and gals.

What about peer leadership and research? And how many hours of nonmedical community service do you have? Your hospital volunteering and shadowing are below average compared to US applicants (though you might get a pass on the shadowing since it's harder to find in some parts of Canada), so I hope you plan to do more of these activities. The teaching looks good, though.

What about peer leadership and research? And how many hours of nonmedical community service do you have? Your hospital volunteering and shadowing are below average compared to US applicants (though you might get a pass on the shadowing since it's harder to find in some parts of Canada), so I hope you plan to do more of these activities. The teaching looks good, though.

Sorry, I wasn't as clear, I apologize. I will be doing another 50 hours of hospital volunteering next year as well.
As for research, I will try to email some of my profs asking if I can be of assistance to them and possibly find either a research position with them or just a helper in the lab.

I am also involved as a volunteer in a retirement/nursing home helping seniors. I will be also trying to shadow a walk-in clinic MD so another 20 hours or so of that. What do you think my chances are catalystik and would you please mind to share a list of schools you think I will have a high chance of getting an invite. I would really appreciate it :). Thanks buddy.

There are 74 MD schools that accept applications from international students. Many of them only take 1 or 2 a year. You need to buy the MSAR and apply to most of them after heeding the advice given above.
Thank you, I have purchased the MSAR. Will be going through that soon.

Will USMD take third year applicants? (Can I get in after I finish 3 years of UG or 90 credits)

Thank you, I have purchased the MSAR. Will be going through that soon.

Will USMD take third year applicants? (Can I get in after I finish 3 years of UG or 90 credits)
Most schools require a bachelor's degree or its equivalent by the time of matriculation.

Most schools require a bachelor's degree or its equivalent by the time of matriculation.
Okay awesome, hopefully if everything goes accordingly, I'll get my BSc next year (which is my third year) and apply in the summer. Hoping for the best. My ultimate goal is to be a physician (a family or ER Doc) practicing in Ontario (my ideal location). I have a ton of USMD friends (my brothers friends) that are canadian but got their MD in the states and had no problems matching or coming back to canada in the primary care field.

Let's see what happens.

Yes, US med schools take applications after the third year of college. But considering that you will be competing with applicants with far stronger credentials than yours, you might consider waiting to further develop yours. Many of the schools taking internationals are research-oriented and/or strive to train future leaders in medicine, so your application won't appeal to them, since you have neither at this time. Humanistically-oriented schools prefer years of dedicated service to those in need. I'm not sure that you have that, either. Why not consult with your friends who've had success and ask for the details of their activities to get some ideas.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply.

To be honest they didn't have much more than me.

I was wondering, what activities would you like to see more of on my application. I've honestly been looking for opportunities everywhere but can't seem to find anything. I would appreciate your help, thanks!
Yes, US med schools take applications after the third year of college. But considering that you will be competing with applicants with far stronger credentials than yours, you might consider waiting to further develop yours. Many of the schools taking internationals are research-oriented and/or strive to train future leaders in medicine, so your application won't appeal to them, since you have neither at this time. Humanistically-oriented schools prefer years of dedicated service to those in need. I'm not sure that you have that, either. Why not consult with your friends who've had success and ask for the details of their activities to get some ideas.

Appreciate it a lot!

You've been so helpful! I hope you don't mind the loads of pms I'll send you come application time ;).

Thanks a lot once again.