bruciebaby45

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Status (Visible)
I am a Canadian student that has been accepted a school in NY state. While I am still waiting to hear from a couple of schools up here and make my final decision, I thought it would be good to get the ball rolling. I was hoping someone might have some advice on things such as applying for a student visa (when and where?), finical aid (I?m I eligible?) and if I will be able to come back to Canada to practice. Thanks for any help,
Bruciebaby45

ify

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
aerosol
Status (Visible)
I'm kind of interested in the last part of your question too. I'm also Canadian, and got into some american schools that I'm seriously considering going to. I'm wondering what my chances are if I decide to come back. I know currently it is hard to get a Canadian residency if you school outside of Canada. But I've also heard a rumor that CARMS is thinking of allowing Canadian citizens who study in america to match during the first round. Does anyone know anything about this? As far as I know, it's a rumor.

noclouds

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
hey, i'm also a canadian but i did my undergrad in the US as well.

as far as i'm aware, canadians shouldn't need the F-1 student visa actually printed into our passports, but we'll need the I-20 (this document you carry around when you enter or leave the US). as for applying for one, the school should send you information about it, if not, contact their office that deals with international students....they'll get you started.

with financial aid...anything that's federal, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident to be eligible. Some loans are available to non-US people, but they require a US co-signer. if you want some names of these loans, lemme know.

does anyone know about canadian scholarships that would help canadians go to grad (med) school in the US??

i'm also very curious about getting canadian residencies.

also, does anyone know if canadians who graduate from US med schools are considered "foreign" when we apply for US residency? Or some other status that would put us at a disadvantage?

About the Ads

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by bruciebaby45
I am a Canadian student that has been accepted a school in NY state. While I am still waiting to hear from a couple of schools up here and make my final decision, I thought it would be good to get the ball rolling. I was hoping someone might have some advice on things such as applying for a student visa (when and where?), finical aid (I?m I eligible?) and if I will be able to come back to Canada to practice. Thanks for any help,
Bruciebaby45

Great questions. Institutionsal loans may be possible. No federal loans (stafford) will be given unless you are a permenant resident (which has already been stated, but this is true). Furthermore, a relatively high percentage of the schools that accept foreign students, Canadian or otherwise, will require you to deposit the cost of four years of attendance into an escrow account before you matriculate. That comes to the price of $200,000. Cornell, I believe, is one school that requires this. I am not sure if that is something which affects your particular school, but its worth looking into.

CCW

thesaug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2003
London, Ontario
Status (Visible)
Hi!

I am also a Canadian in the midst of deciding whether I will be in Canada or the States next year.

As far as coming back to Canada, Canadian citizens studying in LCME accredited schools in the States (which I think is all of the US schools) are eligible to match in the first round of the CARMS process. So yes, you can come back. If you want further information, check out the CARMS website, or give them a shout.

Doc Ivy

Miss Understood
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2003
Seattle
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Don't worry about the student visa stuff. The international office at the school will be on top of it. If you don't hear from them by about May, I would call them and ask about your SEVIS I-20 and I-94 forms. They'll know exactly what you're talking about.

hope it helps

~doc

bruciebaby45

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the info! Does anyone know of any scholarships or loans that are available to Canadian student studing in the States? Thanks again.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Doc Ivy
Don't worry about the student visa stuff. The international office at the school will be on top of it. If you don't hear from them by about May, I would call them and ask about your SEVIS I-20 and I-94 forms. They'll know exactly what you're talking about.

hope it helps

~doc

i'd actually call up the international student office early after acceptance. The reason is that while I-20 doesn't take long to issue, the student visa in your passport does. The visa is required for ENTERING the U.S., so if you're outside the U.S. now, you'll need the visa when you start classes in August/September.

INS has made it harder and longer to get the student visa, especially for people from countries such as China, Iran, etc. It did take 3-4 months or more for students from these countries. It's fortunate that Canada has good relationship with the U.S., but I'll apply for the visa ASAP.

bruciebaby45

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Status (Visible)
What about student loans? What constitutes an eligible non-citizen? I am interested in doing the work-study program but don't think that I am eligible. I am a Canadian citizen that will be on an I-20, does this mean I am ineligible? Also if I am how ineligible is there any chance of me getting work during school?
Thanks,
B-diddy

noclouds

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
as far as i know from my undergrad years, canadians on an I-20 are treated as international students, meaning that we need special authorization to work off campus (either via a 1-year optional practical training or something else). as for on campus jobs, work-study or not, undergrads cannot work more than 20 hours a week.

here's the only loan that i've found for canadian students going to grad school in the US (med school included):

http://www.iefc.com/canada/terms-co...=CANGRAD&livLP_ID=00003&apr_ID=aprCANHELPgrad

hope that helps!

please share more loans / scholarships for canadians in the US if anyone finds 'em! thanks!

jolu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2002
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i'm also a canadian, and will be starting med school in US this august. as far as i know, canadians just take their i20 form to the border and they issue a visa w/i 15 minutes. anybody knows this for sure?

noclouds

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
Yes. the process should be relatively painless. I've done this entering the US from Canada, and from another country, with the old I20, and with the new SEVIS I20.

Well, there was a separate waiting room (this was in Vancouver) for the I20 to be processed for the first time...and you don't actually get (or need) a visa issued. they just write stuff/stamp your I20 and I94 for the first time.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by noclouds
Yes. the process should be relatively painless. I've done this entering the US from Canada, and from another country, with the old I20, and with the new SEVIS I20.

Well, there was a separate waiting room (this was in Vancouver) for the I20 to be processed for the first time...and you don't actually get (or need) a visa issued. they just write stuff/stamp your I20 and I94 for the first time.

I guess the process is different but easier for Canadian citizens. I hold an Australian passport.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.