canadian student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandhar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a student studying at a canadian university.
Heres my situation:
1st year GPA: 2.86
(due to my mother getting diagnosed with cancer and passing away after couple of years)
2nd year GPA: 3.34
3rs year GPA: 3.51
This year i am around 3.5 as well.
I will not have my degree completed by end of this year (100 out of 120 credits). i had to get a job to pay for my expenses.
My overall GPA:3.26
My science GPA:3.33

I volunteer at a hospital, and I also volunteer at a preschool for children with special needs.
I have manage to find a american DO working here. I will probably get a reference letter from him.
I am writing MCAT in april 2001. I am confident that I will get at least 9's.

I am planning on applying to western university of health sciences for OSTEOPATHY MEDICINE.
what are my chances? Please someone help me. They do accept canadian students.

Members don't see this ad.

Before you go to an osteopathic college, you ought to check where in Canada you can get licensed as an osteopath. Osteopathic licensure is possible in about four provinces. I might be able to help you out, but I cannot get you the information until tomorrow some time.
Osteopathy is essentially an American profession, not recognized or with limited acceptance in most of the rest of the world. In Britain, for example, DOs are restricted by law to manipulation only; they are not considered medical doctors in the same sense as in the US.

I have the answer for you sooner than I expected.

In Ontario and Sakatchewan licensure to US trained osteopaths is limited exclusively to manipulative medicine.

Anyone interested in practicing osteopathy abroad should work through the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Division of State Government Affairs which has an exhaustive list of licensure requirements in each country abroad.

To obtain this list and/or to learn more:

CALL: AOA Division of State Government Affairs: 1 800 621 1773

OR

EMAIL: www.aoa-net.org

The licensing body in Ontario is the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.

The licensing body in Saskatchewan is the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan.

Did you ask your DO about his licensure?

May the Force be with you. Live long and prosper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in british columbia. The DO working here got his degree from Kirksville and he is licensed for full medical practice without any restrictions.
I was thinking about just staying in US afterwords and start a family there.
frown.gif

Ah, that is a different story, Sandhar.

Let me first finish off with licensing in Canada. You never know.

The following provinces allow unlimited scope of practice to DOs who are or intend to be Canadian citizens:

Alberta British Columbia New Brunswick
Quebec

Provinces having no provision for licensing US trained DOs may be able to offer practice rights on a case by case basis.

My source of information on the above was not asked your question. However, I believe you can get the answer to your question from the same source. I have to look it up and I will tell you where to ask.

Sandhar, here it is:

[email protected]

Ask specifically about licensure in the US for US trained non-citizens.

Do not ask him if you can get into an osteopathic medical school with your stats.

For that, the first thing to do is order a publication from AACOM: Osteopathic Medical College Information Book. It can be ordered on-line from www.aacom.org

Your stats look in the ballpark, but there is no way anyone can ASSURE you that you will be accepted. The answer at this stage as to whether not you will be accepted is, yes, no, and maybe. Put in applications and see what happens. A big plus is your connection with an osteopath; be sure to include in it in your application essay, but don't just give what I call a laundry list of what you learned. Pick out highlights, say a little about their importance to you and write well with FEELING, not awkward formality. I am sure the osteopath will be able to write a good letter for you. Many schools require a letter from an osteopath; your connection with the osteopath is more than a formality. I suggest that the osteopath spend little time, if any, on discussing your academics, which he/she does not know firsthand, but on the kind of PERSON you are and the why and wherefore of the depth of your commitment to osteopathy. Good evidence of your motivation for, commitment to and experience with osteopathy is important and may be a tradeoff, to some extent, with the numbers. Your academic references should come from your college.

Any other questions I may be able to answer?