Canadian Thinking About Australian Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistsoon09

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I’m a Canadian student who is thinking about attending an accredited dental school in Australia. I understand that under the mutual agreement I will be able to come back and practice after completing my board exams but I just had a few questions.

- Does anybody know if the Canadian boards are hard to complete as an Australian graduate?
-Will graduating from an Australian program influence my chances of matching into a residency?

I appreciate your time thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everybody! I’m a Canadian student who is thinking about attending an accredited dental school in Australia. I understand that under the mutual agreement I will be able to come back and practice after completing my board exams but I just had a few questions.

- Does anybody know if the Canadian boards are hard to complete as an Australian graduate?
-Will graduating from an Australian program influence my chances of matching into a residency?

I appreciate your time thank you.
I am also really curious about the residency component as well, because I would assume you are limited to residencies in Canada only since you won't be accredited in the United States. I have noticed that practices in Canada are more keen to hire to Canadian or American graduates but then again I don't know anyone personally who has graduated from these programs

I saw on western's website that for programs like OMFS it says you need to graduate from a program in North America while programs such as orthodontics only need you to graduate from an accredited program within Canada, America, Ireland or Australia. So I guess it depends on which residency.
I am also really curious about the residency component as well, because I would assume you are limited to residencies in Canada only since you won't be accredited in the United States. I have noticed that practices in Canada are more keen to hire to Canadian or American graduates but then again I don't know anyone personally who has graduated from these programs

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user