Canadian Thinking About Australian Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistsoon09

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I’m a Canadian student who is thinking about attending an accredited dental school in Australia. I understand that under the mutual agreement I will be able to come back and practice after completing my board exams but I just had a few questions.

- Does anybody know if the Canadian boards are hard to complete as an Australian graduate?
-Will graduating from an Australian program influence my chances of matching into a residency?

I appreciate your time thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No to the first question and probably to the second question. US programs typically like to take US educated applicants. There are definitely a lot of Canadians who go, but it is increasingly less common. Having an Australian school education that they are unfamiliar with will make you a risk for them if they believe you may not possibly be at the same level as other applicants (even if it is not true). However, if you are top of your class I think you shouldn't have a problem finding a program that would take you.

No to the first question and probably to the second question. US programs typically like to take US educated applicants. There are definitely a lot of Canadians who go, but it is increasingly less common. Having an Australian school education that they are unfamiliar with will make you a risk for them if they believe you may not possibly be at the same level as other applicants (even if it is not true). However, if you are top of your class I think you shouldn't have a problem finding a program that would take you.
Thanks for your help!

Agree with dentistrydmd, some residency programs will only consider US dental school grads. Some consider US and Canada dental school grads and some consider international which Australia would fall under. Check out the ADEA PASS program search engine for more details.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user