SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Canadian Undergrad = UK Med prospect

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by MB333999, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. MB333999

    MB333999 5+ Year Member

    Jun 18, 2008
    Hey everyone im new here and i was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out a little.

    So im entering my second year at a Canadian university. It seems that uk med schools have applications for people coming out of high school and for people with a degree. Do they take people that are in the middle of their university degree? (if it matters im doing an honors specilization in medical science) If so, would they just take the marks from the one year of university i did or would they take my high schools marks + university?

    Also i tried looking up what kind of grades i need but im only beginning to understand the education system in the uk

    The following was taken from the manchester medical school website for the 6 year program, can someone tell me what this means?

    Typical A level offer: Grades ABB (all subjects taken at the same sitting).

    Im not sure how to convert my grades into the letter grade. I finished this year with an 83.5.

    International Baccalaureate: 33 points required overall, to include Higher Level 665, Subsidiary Level 655

    One rigorous art subject and two science subjects (not chemistry)

    I got an 85% in Bio and an 87% in physics as for an art subject the only non science non math i have is economics (92%) does that count??

    sorry about the lengthy post!!

    I greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer =)
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ocularphd

    ocularphd New Member 7+ Year Member

    Aug 18, 2006
    What the grades actually correspond to is the grades achieved by students taking A Level examinations at the end of their secondary school education. Typically students take anything from 3/4 A Level grades, and usually to get a place in medicine in the UK, would require at least A Level Chemistry and 2 others, but science A Levels (Biology, Maths or Physics) would help.

    It will be difficult to correspond Canadian schooling to A Levels.

    Perhaps contacting each school individually with your transcripts from high school and college and see what they think

    Good Luck
  4. MB333999

    MB333999 5+ Year Member

    Jun 18, 2008
    hm yea thats probably the best way to do it
    thanks for the reply =)

    is there anyone out there that has been in a similar situation as me? any advice?

Share This Page