Canadian Undergrad = UK Med prospect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MB333999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone im new here and i was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out a little.

So im entering my second year at a Canadian university. It seems that uk med schools have applications for people coming out of high school and for people with a degree. Do they take people that are in the middle of their university degree? (if it matters im doing an honors specilization in medical science) If so, would they just take the marks from the one year of university i did or would they take my high schools marks + university?

Also i tried looking up what kind of grades i need but im only beginning to understand the education system in the uk

The following was taken from the manchester medical school website for the 6 year program, can someone tell me what this means?

Typical A level offer: Grades ABB (all subjects taken at the same sitting).

Im not sure how to convert my grades into the letter grade. I finished this year with an 83.5.

International Baccalaureate: 33 points required overall, to include Higher Level 665, Subsidiary Level 655

One rigorous art subject and two science subjects (not chemistry)

I got an 85% in Bio and an 87% in physics as for an art subject the only non science non math i have is economics (92%) does that count??

sorry about the lengthy post!!

I greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What the grades actually correspond to is the grades achieved by students taking A Level examinations at the end of their secondary school education. Typically students take anything from 3/4 A Level grades, and usually to get a place in medicine in the UK, would require at least A Level Chemistry and 2 others, but science A Levels (Biology, Maths or Physics) would help.

It will be difficult to correspond Canadian schooling to A Levels.

Perhaps contacting each school individually with your transcripts from high school and college and see what they think

Good Luck

hm yea thats probably the best way to do it
thanks for the reply =)

is there anyone out there that has been in a similar situation as me? any advice?