Canadian Universities 2012-13 (International dentists)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get an interview in any canadian schools yet??

Members don't see this ad.

anybody who got a call for interview from U of toronto??

Hi
any one started preparing for ACS/ ACJ 2013 ??? Plz PM we lets start studying together

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi i am from hamilton and preparing for afk 2013.howz ur preperation?

Hi guys, I
I am preparing for afk 2013; would luv to study together.
I can discuss stuff on the forum ,
Also I am from surrey, BC if anyone needs a study partner and is in the same place, we can always schedule something.

Let me know, and good luck studying.

Btw which books to start from, can anyone guide.

Can the people who got in UWO, Uof T, Mannitoba and UBC share your stats please:)

Helo there

I am new to this site..i live in waterloo..i have PR. Am giving afk in 2014 so i have this 1yr time to prepare..i would like to know what options can i look into apart from just sitting at home and studyng..could anyone throw some light on this..plz tell me how do i make the best use of this one yr..are there any part time courses available which are related to dentistry and which could be really useful in future?

There are the following centers offering exam preparation courses:

-Ontario Simulation Training Centre
-Dental Simulation Training Centre or "Naresh"
-PrepDr

Check out on google for their respective websites. I went to OSTC and thought it was good.

Do they offer prep courses for US schools ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

They dont have separate courses at OSTC as such but if you tell them that you are preparing for US, they will guide you specially for that.
I took their theory & clinical course and could give my part 1&2 within 2 months of each other and got accepted to the first two bench/ivs I attended. The course really helped me a lot!

They dont have separate courses at OSTC as such but if you tell them that you are preparing for US, they will guide you specially for that.
I took their theory & clinical course and could give my part 1&2 within 2 months of each other and got accepted to the first two bench/ivs I attended. The course really helped me a lot!

That's great ..thank u so much

they have this great new centre in Vancouver, Vandent. It is run my a dentist who cleared the AFK, CS, and CJ all in one go. He does private lesson as well for American school prep. he is really professional and he has a group of mentors as well all, one who is professor at UBC, the other has cleared all his steps and just sat for his Canadian licensing exam. I am currently with him, and I love it. He is up front about the fees and the costs and such a nice guy, he is allowing me to pay monthly, not all up front, because i work and am paying for this myself.

I actually went to Naresh's, and although I learned a lot clinically, it wasn't a very professional set up. There were basic fees and somehow you had to pay extra for EVERYTHING. i was invoiced for things like the facemask which originally i was told was included with the package, same with the typhodont. i only got half my $300 deposit back, because i was told that i would get the other half back if i signed up for the 4 month prep ( i had only did the 1 month crash course) which i was NOT told before. I am grateful to my teacher there because he really helped me with my clinical skills, but the management is not very good and not transparent and you will end up paying so much more than the fees they have given. and unfortunately, due to the lack of professionalism, the other students there don't seem to have a lot of respect for each other. very cut throat and almost mean. Vandent is highly monitored so there are no issue like that there. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
hello there, i am also from hamilton and preparing for AFK 2013. r u also preparing for this?

hey frnds, i'm sellimg out all my exam stuffs which was very useful for me.. ACJ books , compressor , unit, mounting pole, handpiece high and slow, RD kit , loupes and other materials.. i live in scarborogh (toronto) if anyone is interested pls inbox me... gud luck to all )

HEY GUYZ.is 80% or 85% marrks in AFK test sufficient to get addmission to dental school in toronto?

hi rola.r u preparing for canada exam

Never attend OSTC course for bench test preparation.

Guys today was my last day at the course and let me tell you my 3200 dollars have all gone into drain.
1)The batch is of 24 students but there are over 50 students just for practise and there are only 2 ppl who check our work. One is Dr khurana and a dentist named Laura. So we hardly get 5 min a day with him as he leaves by 7 30-8 and 5hrs are of lecture and demo.
2) the course timing is 10 30 but Dr khurana never comes before 11 30. And he starts at around 12. He teaches less of practical work and more of theory. His lectures are of 2 to 3 hrs.
3) He gives demos outside of mouth on a tray so we never know about inclinations and position. We asked him to teach us outside and he just gave us handouts saying read and do it.
4) Very money minded people. They sell a tooth for 2.5 dollars. Plus the instruments they give during the course are all non standardized. If you want to buy loupes when you attend the course you only can buy from univet which are around 1600 dollars plus taxes. No other guys are involved in the building. So buy loupes before hand.
5) He takes 4 hrs for a restoration. and its like the whole day we just sit and watch what is he doing and listen to the lecture. I travelled from scarborough and i took 2 30 hrs to reach so 5 hrs a day and so i could get very less practice.
6) he is very inclined to punjabis and so if you are not one pls think once before attending.
7)If your work is not good dont attend coz he ignores people who does not have good work.
8) And i being a US student i had asked him to teach me onlays and 3/4th crown and he just told us how to do it in 15 min. No demos. And he wasted my 2 days just for that 15 mins which i would have seen through you tube.

I dont know about other courses but if you are planning to attend this course pls dont. You are wasting your money. You tube is much better.

Dhaval

Hey Dhaval, not sure what has made you feel that way, believe we all were appreciative of the procedures that we learnt.

I tend to completely differ from you on your comments about his inclination towards any particular ethnic group; I think he always maintains a balanced stance with all his students.

I could probably understand your frustration on the live demo for onlay just for yourself. However, your timing for that individual request was not appropriate, considering that he was extremely busy with 50 other students preparing for NDEB…

Most importantly we should not over look the fact that OSTC has the highest acceptance rate of students in all the dental schools across Canada.
I would say please consider talking to Dr. K to help you with your individual needs and wishing you all the very best…

Hey Dhaval, not sure what has made you feel that way, believe we all were appreciative of the procedures that we learnt.

I tend to completely differ from you on your comments about his inclination towards any particular ethnic group; I think he always maintains a balanced stance with all his students.

I could probably understand your frustration on the live demo for onlay just for yourself. However, your timing for that individual request was not appropriate, considering that he was extremely busy with 50 other students preparing for NDEB…

Most importantly we should not over look the fact that OSTC has the highest acceptance rate of students in all the dental schools across Canada.
I would say please consider talking to Dr. K to help you with your individual needs and wishing you all the very best…

if he was busy then he shouldn't have conducted the course in the first place.. and higher acceptance because of the efforts the students put in there not Dr K. only 10 minutes a day to check preps of students?? are u kidding me?? And pls let others know the truth.. so they don't waste there money on the course

Hi all
I tried finding threads for international dentists trying to get into Canadian universities, but there is nothing out there.
Let's start a thread for FTD in Canada who want to get into the Canadian universities and share knowledge and experiences on
1. Resume
2. Personal statement
3. Prior learning assessment for various universities
4. Interview plans and accommodations.

Thanks
Hi aspirin ..just wondering what you got into ...pls help with your advice you have been very helpful on sdn