Canadian US-MD School List - State Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yokiguz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently going through the process of refining down my school list. I was wondering if it is advisable to remove state schools that accept 1-3 internationals students/year if I have no ties to the state.

My current list is:

Wayne State
Yale
Virginia Commonwealth
Boston University
Sidney Kimmel
Saint Louis
Harvard
Emory University
Geisel at Dartmouth
Tulane
New York Medical College
Case Western Reserve University
Georgetown
Upstate (SUNY)
John Hopkins
Washington in St. Louis
Virginia
Stanford
UC Los Angeles
Perelman
Icahn at Mount Sinai
Renaissance (SUNY)
George Washington
Connecticut
Meharry
Cornell
Mayo Clinic Alix
Duke University
Utah
Maryland
Hawaii
Colorado
Northwestern Feinberg
Pritzker at Chicago
Vanderbilt
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Pittsburgh

Should I remove the following schools: Pittsburgh, Pritzker, Northwestern Feinberg, Colorado, Hawaii, Maryland, and Utah?

Are there any other cuts you would suggest?

Stats:

cGPA/sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 517 (2017), re-writing next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure what you mean but FYI, Pritzker and Feinberg are NOT state schools. They are private schools! So no IS preference!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure what you mean but FYI, Pritzker and Feinberg are NOT state schools. They are private schools! So no IS preference!
I guess what I am asking is: is there a point of internationals applying to public state schools without having ties to the state?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to cut those schools as they seem very international - unfriendly.

I guess what I am asking is: is there a point of internationals applying to public state schools without having ties to the state?

I think the very nature of an international applying to a US MD school it is understood you wouldn’t have any or many ties to the state schools! The schools that do accept international students are open to accepting them but you have to understand not that many internationals are accepted anywhere each year. It’s not like US citizens applying to OOS schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the very nature of an international applying to a US MD school it is understood you wouldn’t have any or many ties to the state schools! The schools that do accept international students are open to accepting them but you have to understand not that many internationals are accepted anywhere each year. It’s not like US citizens applying to OOS schools.

Yes, I understand that it is very difficult for internationals to get acceptances at MD schools in the States. I should have clarified that I am a Canadian international and certain schools treat us as OOS -- apparently at least. I will also be applying to DO schools and am not putting all my hopes on getting an MD acceptance.

That being said, I still wish to maximize my odds of getting into an MD school. Do you then suggest I keep these schools on my list? Or is it purely a waste of time/money?

I don’t know but like everyone else applying to medical school, it is wise to cast a wide net and apply as broadly as you can to give yourself the best shot! You just never know who will see your app and decide to offer you an interview. One thing is for sure, if you don’t apply you won’t be accepted.Good luck!

I don’t know but like everyone else applying to medical school, it is wise to cast a wide net and apply as broadly as you can to give yourself the best shot! You just never know who will see your app and decide to offer you an interview. One thing is for sure, if you don’t apply you won’t be accepted.Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I will cast my net broadly in this case.