Canadian (US-Residency Trained) Looking to Return to Canada for EM Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankMelena

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I know this has been brought up intermittently over the years (most recently last march there was a thread), but it seems CPSO has been editing pathways for USMDs to Canada (renaming pathways and re-organizing structures Per this link here - which is different from even last year.

I'm entering my 3rd and final year of EM residency and as a Canadian citizen have always had it on my mind to return home to Ontario to work. I'd always been told/read that to even stand a chance I needed to complete an extra 2 years of residency as of course in Canada EM is 5 years. However in the past year, some requirements have changed such that per Pathway A in link above (Seems like there is no longer a third pathway??) - anyone from an ACGME-accredited program, licensed (so, having passed boards which I'm assuming would take at least a year implying probably a year of work/fellowship) would be able to be registered in Canada under a probationary period.

I don't mind a probationary period. Truly, I just want to be home with my family from whom I've been apart for the past 12 years. If anyone has any updates on EM and anything the College has updated or changed this past year, I'd be super grateful to find out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

So I know this has been brought up intermittently over the years (most recently last march there was a thread), but it seems CPSO has been editing pathways for USMDs to Canada (renaming pathways and re-organizing structures Per this link here - which is different from even last year.

I'm entering my 3rd and final year of EM residency and as a Canadian citizen have always had it on my mind to return home to Ontario to work. I'd always been told/read that to even stand a chance I needed to complete an extra 2 years of residency as of course in Canada EM is 5 years. However in the past year, some requirements have changed such that per Pathway A in link above (Seems like there is no longer a third pathway??) - anyone from an ACGME-accredited program, licensed (so, having passed boards which I'm assuming would take at least a year implying probably a year of work/fellowship) would be able to be registered in Canada under a probationary period.

I don't mind a probationary period. Truly, I just want to be home with my family from whom I've been apart for the past 12 years. If anyone has any updates on EM and anything the College has updated or changed this past year, I'd be super grateful to find out.

To me, it looks like you are interpreting this correctly but I haven't looked into it, or had any direct experience, recently. It was also my understanding that there was a previous "supervised" route to independent practice in Ontario, but not many other provinces. The one stumbling block here is that you have to be board certified which will take almost a year, and possibly longer depending on how things continue to evolve with oral boards. So you will probably need to find something to get by on in the states for at least a year before returning home. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im prelimjnarily looking into this and hopefully I qualify after doing a 6 year EM/IM/CC route. With the way healthcare in the US is headed, time for a backup plan.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar boat (but PGY3/4), but this is the first time I hear about Pathway A. Like above posters mentioned, it likely will take an extra year to qualify since taking and passing the US boards might take up to an additional year after graduation. Might be worth doing a fellowship in the meantime and setting yourself up for potentially being able to take the RCPS exam down the road. OP, would love to chat more in future and exchange resources/ideas as there aren't many of us in our position, feel free to PM me if you'd like