[Canadian] UW (OOS) vs. UMich (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superyoyosup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to 7 schools (screams) and the two I am most interested in attending are UW and UMichigan. (Just for the sake of records, I also got accepted into UBC (Vancouver), Pitt, Tufts, U of Utah, Temple). All in all, i DO wish to specialize, and I honestly dont know how much a school will make an impact on that.

UW:
- I love seattle. Always loved the city, always will. Love the diversity of the city as well.
- Close to family up in Vancouver Canada.
- In state tuition (which is not that much different from OOS Michigan)
CONS: Debt within the UWSOD department?

Michigan:
- I like the organization of its programs and stability of funding.
CONS: Ann Arbor seems to lack diversity, and that is a heavy factor for me.

anything I havent thought of? PLEASE HELP Y'ALL!!

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who has grown up in Ann Arbor, I would say that it is pretty diverse! (Although I've never been to Seattle so I can't compare)

100% UW. You love the city, you’re familiar with it, and most importantly you’re happy there. You’re in a closer proximity to your family and that will be important during the times you’re missing them/need someone. I would have applied to UW if they were OOS friendly. IS TUITION!!!!!

I have also been to Ann Arbor (twice) and would say it’s really diverse! I liked the city but B.C >>>> Michigan

Last edited:
I got accepted to 7 schools (screams) and the two I am most interested in attending are UW and UMichigan. (Just for the sake of records, I also got accepted into UBC (Vancouver), Pitt, Tufts, U of Utah, Temple). All in all, i DO wish to specialize, and I honestly dont know how much a school will make an impact on that.

UW:
- I love seattle. Always loved the city, always will. Love the diversity of the city as well.

Michigan:

why don't you want to go to UBC?
won't that be cheaper?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

UW:

Michigan:

Congrats on the acceptances I’m also wondering why not UBC? Are you Canadian?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

If you're specializing then the extra 2+ years of interest are going to suck if you go to an expensive school. Whatever is cheapest.

I really don't like the things I hear going on at UW and from my friends that attend there, I wouldn't want to be a student at UW.

UMich is an easy choice in this one for me.

I really don't like the things I hear going on at UW and from my friends that attend there, I wouldn't want to be a student at UW.

UMich is an easy choice in this one for me.

What do they say about it??
I'm curious too as to how the debt and everything has been affecting the education there

UW seems to be at a standstill with the debt and the dean. I have been hearing students that are unsatisfied with their education. A lot of waiting around and they only see 2 patients so if one cancels then you’re just stuck assisting. Michigan is a great school and haven’t heard anything poor about them.
This is true. However they just changed the dean and they are trying to get back on their feet. Those changes can happen at any school. That is true that they only see 2 patients per day so do students of UoP. Cancellations suck and they can happen at any university and then you will be assisting. Although, UoP has the opportunity to add more patients per day, but there are no students that can handle more than 3 patients per day. They are not that fast in their work. UoP has better requirements in order to graduate you have to complete 70 fillings, 14 crowns, 5 removable dentures, 30 extractions and 5 endos. Which is pretty solid foundation for a grad student. I personally think that you can get this experience at any school if you try. There are a lot of volunteering programs that you can join with UW faculties to get more experience outside of school hours.

There is cool a thread that I found on SDN about a lot of dental schools. Can You Answer These Questions About Your Dental School? (Part 2)

Good luck!

This is true. However they just changed the dean and they are trying to get back on their feet. Those changes can happen at any school. That is true that they only see 2 patients per day so do students of UoP. Cancellations suck and they can happen at any university and then you will be assisting. Although, UoP has the opportunity to add more patients per day, but there are no students that can handle more than 3 patients per day. They are not that fast in their work. UoP has better requirements in order to graduate you have to complete 70 fillings, 14 crowns, 5 removable dentures, 30 extractions and 5 endos. Which is pretty solid foundation for a grad student. I personally think that you can get this experience at any school if you try. There are a lot of volunteering programs that you can join with UW faculties to get more experience outside of school hours.

There is cool a thread that I found on SDN about a lot of dental schools. Can You Answer These Questions About Your Dental School? (Part 2)

Good luck!
UW's minimums are laughably low: 3 crowns and a competency crown, 5 fillings and a competency filling (both anterior and posterior), 4 root canals, 3 treatment plans, pediatric requirements done on our peds rotation (one week long), perio surgery, a lot of other competency exams. Nothing denture related, just suggested requirements.

"Lately the UW has been struggling a bit with having schedulers employed in order to get patients in to us... this has led to us not having a lot of patients so I can foresee there being a bit of struggle to fulfill my fourth year requirements. HOWEVER, UW is really good about making sure clerkship requirements are fulfilled in third year so there's not as much of an issue there. It's something that's in the process of being corrected though and has been getting better as of late."

How are people struggling to do four crowns? There are schools that require over 20! Nothing denture related at all? Do they expect you to rely completely on your lab guy?

UW's minimums are laughably low: 3 crowns and a competency crown, 5 fillings and a competency filling (both anterior and posterior), 4 root canals, 3 treatment plans, pediatric requirements done on our peds rotation (one week long), perio surgery, a lot of other competency exams. Nothing denture related, just suggested requirements.

"Lately the UW has been struggling a bit with having schedulers employed in order to get patients in to us... this has led to us not having a lot of patients so I can foresee there being a bit of struggle to fulfill my fourth year requirements. HOWEVER, UW is really good about making sure clerkship requirements are fulfilled in third year so there's not as much of an issue there. It's something that's in the process of being corrected though and has been getting better as of late."

How are people struggling to do four crowns? There are schools that require over 20! Nothing denture related at all? Do they expect you to rely completely on your lab guy?

I agree, there are schools with way better clinical experience that you can get. And UoP is one of the leading schools and they have a great reputation for providing the best clinical experience. I personally love UoP and it was and still is my dream school. However, there are many other factors that affecting my final decision. There are pros and cons in each school. Which one is better is going to be strictly subjective for each student. When I interviewed there the numbers that students gave me for UW grad requirements were different. But don't quot me on that. Lol.
I am still thinking about which school to choose but, man, those huge student loan numbers scare the heck out of me.