Canadian vs. American System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverjelly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You American applicants don't know how lucky you are to know if you are accpeted/rejected/waitlisted/have an interview, etc. Even though I shouldn't be nervous yet, I'm nearly going out of my mind waiting on the Canadian schools that I applied to. We won't even know generally until the [edit] beginning (not end like I said before) of February if we have an interview and won't know about our admission results until the end of May - and some of you already have acceptances! Canadian med schools don't have rolling admissions; they just do them all at once.

I vote for the American system! Any opinons, Canadians?

Although I have to admit, the waiting may be kind of a masochistic pleasure - I guess it's the element of surprise and suspense.

P.S. Canadians - get on the ezboard forums! They're dead as dirt and it's annoying me to hell.

Members don't see this ad.

So if you are canadian citizen and not an american citizen or permanent resident and you apply to U.S. med schools, then wouldnt you be considered an intl applicant?

silverjelly said:
You American applicants don't know how lucky you are to know if you are accpeted/rejected/waitlisted/have an interview, etc. Even though I shouldn't be nervous yet, I'm nearly going out of my mind waiting on the Canadian schools that I applied to. We won't even know generally until the end of Febraury if we have an interview, and until the end of February and won't know about our admission results until the end of May - and some of you already have acceptances! Canadian med schools don't have rolling admissions; they just do them all at once.

I vote for the American system! Any opinons, Canadians?

Although I have to admit, the waiting may be kind of a masochistic pleasure - I guess it's the element of surprise and suspense.

P.S. Canadians - get on the ezboard forums! They're dead as dirt and it's annoying me to hell.

am with you till feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
jon stewart said:
So if you are canadian citizen and not an american citizen or permanent resident and you apply to U.S. med schools, then wouldnt you by considered an intl applicant?

Yeah, I think you are considered an international applicant - but I wouldn't know for sure since I didn't apply to any American med schools and am not aware of how they consider Canadian applicants.

silverjelly said:
Yeah, I think you are considered an international applicant - but I wouldn't know for sure since I didn't apply to any American med schools and am not aware of how they consider Canadian applicants.

It depends on the school. Some schools treat you as an international, some don't care where you're from, or consider Canadians as 'special' internationals because they accept degrees from Canadian Universities but not from other nations...in this respect we are more like nonresidents I guess.

Wertt said:
It depends on the school. Some schools treat you as an international, some don't care where you're from, or consider Canadians as 'special' internationals because they accept degrees from Canadian Universities but not from other nations...in this respect we are more like nonresidents I guess.

Good answer . . . nonresidents.

Hear, Hear. Take solace in the fact that our military is not spying on its own country's citizens. That always brings me some comfort, some being the operative word. But yes, the waiting sucks. Royally. :mad: :mad:

Monette

which american med schools treat canadians as non-international and are also within a 10 hours drive of toronto?

Heck, I'd say we're pretty much luckier in general. Although I've heard Canadian girls are pretty and fun...

MoosePilot said:
Heck, I'd say we're pretty much luckier in general. Although I've heard Canadian girls are pretty and fun...

Some of us are butt ugly. Not me, though.

:Stretches supermodel legs, flips flowing blond hair, puckers perfect lips, stares down haughty perfect nose:

JK

Monette said:
Hear, Hear. Take solace in the fact that our military is not spying on its own country's citizens. That always brings me some comfort, some being the operative word. But yes, the waiting sucks. Royally. :mad: :mad:

Monette

What are ya talkin a'boot!? The patriot act? Who cares! I don't care if Georgie listens to my calls because I've got nothing to hide. I'm all for it and, yes, it even makes me feel safe. :eek:

:wraps turban around head, loads Ak-47: :laugh:

Zoom-Zoom said:
What are ya talkin a'boot!?

Dude, that sounds Irish/Scottish to me. I've never said/heard aboot around here.

Zoom-Zoom said:
The patriot act? Who cares! I don't care if Georgie listens to my calls because I've got nothing to hide. I'm all for it and, yes, it even makes me feel safe. :eek:

That's not the point. Most people have nothing to hide. It doesn't warrant unnecessary governmental intrusions on our privacy.

Big Brother is watching you. May I suggest you read Orwell's 1984 if you haven't already done so. It may be the eye-opener you need to change your views/perspective. In any case, to each his/her/their own - I know I wouldn't want to have people eavesdropping on my conversations whether they be about the latest issue of In Style or my personal political beliefs.

Zoom-Zoom said:

Cheap.

Zoom-Zoom said:
What are ya talkin a'boot!? The patriot act? Who cares! I don't care if Georgie listens to my calls because I've got nothing to hide. I'm all for it and, yes, it even makes me feel safe. :eek:

i've never heard any canadian's say a'boot, whatever that means. and i've heard "hey" much more than "eh". that's like saying everyone from the south says "y'all". they don't. ;)

The Canadian "eh" is equivalent to the American "huh"

Yes, applications to Canadian med schools should be centralized. But that's not going to happen anytime in the near future. I sure hope you have an enormously high GPA to meet the cut-offs. It's all numbers based in Canada - far less importance placed on equally important experiences beyond the classroom.

BTW I took the MCATs in Toronto because that's where I'm from. I found it odd that MANY of the people I tested with had GPAs of 3.8 and 3.9 but were struggling to get a 25 on the MCAT. That's a large disparity!

I better get in somewhere here.