Canadian: waitlisted at top-choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domtar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm a Canadian student currently waitlisted at my top-choice dental school. Considering there's visa issue to get over with (which takes some time) is there a point in hoping to get off the wait-list at this point? When is the appropriate time to stop hoping for Canadian students?
Does anyone know how long visa processing takes?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not too sure but i don't think the visa processing takes more than 3 weeks?
good luck =)

my school told me it's going to take 4 weeks to get I-20 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all,

I'm a Canadian student currently waitlisted at my top-choice dental school. Considering there's visa issue to get over with (which takes some time) is there a point in hoping to get off the wait-list at this point? When is the appropriate time to stop hoping for Canadian students?
Does anyone know how long visa processing takes?

I am canadian attending an American school. If you get in off a waitlist last minute be excited. Generally things take time but you should be able to get a temporary pardon/ parole into the US if you are awaiting the paperwork. My wife was paroled in this way before she was officially cleared. The trick is to call the border when you get accepted and explain the situation. I was amazed at the flexibility that exists if you are nice. Also try calling more than one border if you are getting resistance at one. Hopefully this helps and good luck to you.

Isn't the chance for Canadian to get into US school very low?

my school told me it's going to take 4 weeks to get I-20 :)

hey do you guys know if getting a Canadian 200k line of credit is enough financial proof for the I-20 processing by the school?

or do we need to show that we have one year's worth of funding in our own or our financial supporter's(ie parents) bank account?

I called the school that i am going to be attending and the lady that I talked to didn't seem too sure.

Also, once we get the I-20, it's only a matter of going to the US Customs and showing our I-20 to get our F1 visa right?

Last edited:
hey do you guys know if getting a Canadian 200k line of credit is enough financial proof for the I-20 processing by the school?

or do we need to show that we have one year's worth of funding in our own or our financial supporter's(ie parents) bank account?

I called the school that i am going to be attending and the lady that I talked to didn't seem too sure.

Also, once we get the I-20, it's only a matter of going to the US Customs and showing our I-20 to get our F1 visa right?

take the money from ur 200K PLC, enough for first yrs worth, stick it in your bank account.... and problem solved

this is the letter i got from my school

One of the steps necessary to complete your final acceptance is to submit certification that you will have sufficient funds to pay expenses for yourself for the duration of your program. We estimate you will require a minimum of 12 terms (48 months) to complete your predoctoral education. You must certify a total minimum of $82,400 (U.S.) to fund the first academic year. This figure is based on current and projected expenses. Although you will only need to demonstrate sufficient funds to pay for the first year of dental school, please make arrangements to adequately fund your entire program. The minimum estimate of the four-year predoctoral education is $329,600 (U.S). These figures assume you have no dependents. If you have one dependent you will need to certify an additional $9,125 (U.S.) or if you have two dependents you will need to certify an additional $14,950 (U.S.) per year.

In order to certify the necessary funds you must send to our office an official bank statement certifying $82,400 (U.S.). (Bank loans, including Citibank, will not be acceptable to certify funding.) If the bank statement is not in your name, then the official bank statement must be accompanied by an original signed letter from your sponsor certifying he/she will use these funds to support you at this school. The letter from the sponsor must include his/her complete mailing address and telephone number. A fax or photo copy of the bank statement or letter from your sponsor will not be acceptable. The deadline for certification of funds is April 1, 2010. We cannot guarantee admission into the entering class of 2010 if we have not received certification by this date.

Hope this will help :)

i see. so I guess we need to place the loan money into our account.

thanks!

my cosigner has been approved by the bank and it's only a matter of him signing the documents to get my loan.

one problem though, my bank rep(RBC) told me that the money will be forwarded in divided amounts on September.

I'll go discuss this with him when I go sign the documents with my cosigner. hopefully they're flexible on when the money's forwarded.

Which banks are you guys using and does your loan come with the same sort of terms?