Medical Canadian with low GPA and MCAT - What can I do to get into medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the final year of my undergrad degree. I know that my GPA is definitely not where it needs to be to apply to most med schools in Canada or even the US. My GPA as of right now is 3.13 and that includes the course I’ve retaken so far, I’m not sure how med schools treat courses that have been retaken so I’m assuming school may calculate my GPA differently based on the classes I’ve retaken. By the end of next semester, I’m hoping that my GPA is a little closer to 3.3 Also wondering if it would be smart to retake some of the classes that I didn't do so fantastic in. I wrote my MCAT last year but definitely wasn’t in the right headspace to write it and ended up with a 491. I'm willing to put in the work to get to where I need to be to have a competitive application anywhere I choose to apply. Whether it means doing a master's or second undergrad or post bach program. In terms of the MCAT, I’m pursuing better study materials as I don’t think the books I have are sufficient for a better mark on the MCAT when I choose to retake it. In addition to that I’ll most likely be taking a prep course.
1) You need make better choices if you're serious about a career in Medicine.

2) Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are 100% ready.

3) I can't sugar coat, you're done for US MD. Can't advise on Canadian MD...that's out of my knowledge base. For US DO, there are some 14 schools that accept Canadians. But for them, read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Members don't see this ad.

You don't say where you are doing undergrad or what your major is. One thing is clear: you had three years to show us you would do everything possible to get into medical school and (for lack of a better term) fell short. I'm certain you're probably out for Canadian MD as well as USA MD. You could try for DO in the US, but you may have to join other Canadians in looking to study outside the country, like in Australia or Ireland. You won't have an easy path at this point. At least not without severe reconstruction and laser focus over time.

You can blame books for not being fully prepared for the MCAT, but that lack of responsibility or accountability is going to doom you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Thank you for your input! I am and have always been 100% serious about a future in medicine. I know for a fact that I was focused throughout my undergrad. I did have one bad semester where I ended up with 3C's and 2B's. Of the 37 courses ive taken so far i have 6 C's and one D+ (two of which i retook), and the rest of my grades have been A's or B's. Would retaking the rest of these classes make a difference if I can guarantee an A in the course? I'm not looking to enter into med school next year as I know that for a fact I do need to work on my GPA and realize that it will take some time that i am willing to put in.

I wrote my MCAT last year but definitely wasn’t in the right headspace to write it and ended up with a 491.

I can't sugar coat this: The MCAT is a career deciding, high stakes exam. When you write something like this, it gives Adcom members doubts as to your ability to make good choices.

It's always best to retake any grades < C. That's because many med schools require a C or better in the pre-reqs.

Based on all the information you guys have given would the following be an appropriate course of action?:

- Finish of my undergrad degree
- Retake the courses that need to be retaken
- Take a bit of a break to work and continue building volunteer hours
- Find a post-bacc or SMP or another undergrad degree to boost my GPA
- Take time to study for the MCAT to achieve a score that is competitive

Please feel free to add any other suggestions...
Finish your degree.

I would talk with students, alumni, and admissions staff in the school you most want to attend and discuss your situation before spending any more time or wasting your energy and money if the pursuit is going to be in vain. Many faculty do not share "growth mindset" thinking when it comes to admissions. What your record is for many is baked in and cannot be changed. You have to know how likely this thinking is at your intended school. I can be wrong, but I have not had my opinion contradicted often.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.