• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Canadians: applying for F1 visa

scraibin

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
    I'm a Canadian accepted to a med school in the US and just now starting to go about applying for a student visa. I understand that the school has to issue an I20 form for me to start the process--my question is, I'm still waiting for word from other schools I've interviewed at, should I wait till all decisions are done before I apply for the F1 visa ie does it matter where I get the I20 from? Does any Canadian with experience in this care to share how long the process of getting the visa takes? And if I get I20 from a school, and then decide to matriculate at another school, does that affect the visa application in any way?
    Thanks to anyone who can help with this! :)

coralfangs

10+ Year Member
    Apr 3, 2006
      it matters which school, cuz you still have to present your I20 everytime you go back/forth between US and CAD
      but don't worry about the process, getting a F1 visa is easy
      basically, you just go to the border with your I20, they scan and stamp your passport (takes less than 1 hr)

just wait til you've heard back from all the school
      u a fellow UofTer?

blurry

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Sep 19, 2007
        One school I am considering said they will apply for it on my behalf and just send me the information and forms I need to sign. I submitted all of my financial documents in mid-November and haven't heard back from the school since then.

About the Ads

hp540

3 pages per minute
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Oct 6, 2006
          Any Canadian students w/o US PR/dual citizenship? I'm strongly considering taking the plunge and doing my MD training in the US but worried about residency issues. Anyone can comment?

scraibin

10+ Year Member
          May 31, 2007
          1. Pre-Medical
            it matters which school, cuz you still have to present your I20 everytime you go back/forth between US and CAD
            but don't worry about the process, getting a F1 visa is easy
            basically, you just go to the border with your I20, they scan and stamp your passport (takes less than 1 hr)

just wait til you've heard back from all the school
            u a fellow UofTer?

Yeah UT. Class of 07. So are you heading down south this year too?
            Thanks for the tip, a load off my mind.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.