Canadians: applying for F1 visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scraibin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian accepted to a med school in the US and just now starting to go about applying for a student visa. I understand that the school has to issue an I20 form for me to start the process--my question is, I'm still waiting for word from other schools I've interviewed at, should I wait till all decisions are done before I apply for the F1 visa ie does it matter where I get the I20 from? Does any Canadian with experience in this care to share how long the process of getting the visa takes? And if I get I20 from a school, and then decide to matriculate at another school, does that affect the visa application in any way?
Thanks to anyone who can help with this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

it matters which school, cuz you still have to present your I20 everytime you go back/forth between US and CAD
but don't worry about the process, getting a F1 visa is easy
basically, you just go to the border with your I20, they scan and stamp your passport (takes less than 1 hr)

just wait til you've heard back from all the school
u a fellow UofTer?

One school I am considering said they will apply for it on my behalf and just send me the information and forms I need to sign. I submitted all of my financial documents in mid-November and haven't heard back from the school since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Canadian students w/o US PR/dual citizenship? I'm strongly considering taking the plunge and doing my MD training in the US but worried about residency issues. Anyone can comment?

it matters which school, cuz you still have to present your I20 everytime you go back/forth between US and CAD
but don't worry about the process, getting a F1 visa is easy
basically, you just go to the border with your I20, they scan and stamp your passport (takes less than 1 hr)

just wait til you've heard back from all the school
u a fellow UofTer?

Yeah UT. Class of 07. So are you heading down south this year too?
Thanks for the tip, a load off my mind.