Canadians Applying to the States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derzornhistolog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The international forum pointed out rightly that we Canucks are thought of as not quite American and not quite foreign.

In view of our singular experience, I think we Loyalists ought to band together and tell our tales of victory and despair in the process of applying to US schools. This, so that posterity will know what struggles we overcame, what failures we learned from and all that jazz.

Some may object that there's a previous Canadian forum, but I stalwartly refuse to use the find function. And anyway, if it's not on the first 5-10 pages of threads, it's too hard to find for all but the most obdurate forum-freak.

(Having read the 'white-male' and 'black-female' forums briefly, I'll attempt to avoid any controversy before it starts. This is purely and utterly a support group for applicants with a particular chip on their shoulder (being Canadian). Remember that we always have to explain to US Adcoms why we would ever deign to leave our beautiful, universal healthcare utopia. Thank you and have a nice day.)

may your mailbox be bountiful :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna be applying to US medschools, next year, possibly in Texas, as i have yet to fulfill my pre-reqs. I have a slight advantage however, as I am a permanent resident of the US. Anyone know good schools for out of staters?

I see someone's scoring high on their VR.

bravotwozero said:
I'm gonna be applying to US medschools, next year, possibly in Texas, as i have yet to fulfill my pre-reqs. I have a slight advantage however, as I am a permanent resident of the US. Anyone know good schools for out of staters?

As a Canadian living in Texas and (soon to be) attending a Texas medical school, I have to tell you that the Texas schools are mandated to take 90% of their class as Texas residents (defined by having lived in TX for 1 year without attending Post-secondary education - i.e. Community/Jr. College, or University).

Good luck!