Canadians as DO's

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kidflip, Jan 15, 2002.

1. kidflip

kidflip Member

Just wondering if DO schools accept Canadians?

Also once you are licenced as a DO can you practice in countries such as Canada where they only award MD degrees.

Thanks alot for your advice

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'm really not sure. From what I've read, there is a Canadian School of Osteopathy but the curriculum seems to be so different. They don't even award a doctorate. I really don't think you can practice in Canada as a DO. Maybe you can if you are trained in the United States?? I'd like to know myself. Good Luck

4. solie

solie Senior Member

Hi kidflip,

Yep, DO med schools do accept Canadians...I'm one and I've gotten accepted. However, there are only 9 of them that do, so look into that before you waste $$ applying to ones that don't.

And can DO's practice in Canada? Yep again. But, again, look into provincial regulations on this, because some provinces allow full practice rights, such as BC, others only permit the use of OMT (i.e. DO's can't practice as full MD's), while still others either don't have any regulations concerning DO's (which could be a good thing or a bad thing, I guess) and still others will consider DO's practice rights on a case-by-case type basis.

I just got some publications from AACOM (you can order them on their web site) which I believe states that as of 1999 there are only 12 DO's practicing in Canada. That's a very small number, I know, but a good start if you ask me. Think of it this way...the field is WIDE open! Combine that with the fact that there is such a severe shortage of doctors in Canada right now (which is only looking to get worse in the next few years) and it makes a lot of sense for the provinces to make it easier to allow for full practice rights for DO's.

As for the Canadian School of Osteopathy...
    They don't teach osteopathic medicine there, they teach osteopathy. I refer to them as different because they are. This school teaches part-time courses on how to be an osteopath, in the British sense of the word (i.e. ONLY performing OMT) and I don't believe it's accredited. The only schools that are osteopathic MEDICAL schools are in the U.S.--DO schools in the U.S. allow you to become a fully certified physician, who is able to practice OMT as well.

Does that make sense?? :)

5. Ray22

Ray22 Senior Member

Hi ,
    I WAS wondering what are the 9 DOmed schools thta accept Canadians .Thankx

6. moo

moo 1K Member

I know KCOM is one that accepts canucks

7. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member

Just to be clear, I know that you cannot simply enter BC and set up practice as a physician as a DO. There are two routes for DO's in BC. One is to accept a limited practice which forbids obstetrics and surgical procedures. You can still prescribe, diagnose, whatever, but you do have these restrictions. Or, you can enter as an FMG and it is as if you are a grad from the Caribbean, etc. This of course is very very hard to pull off. Nonetheless, the poster is correct I suppose that one could possibly work as a physician as a DO in BC.

8. solie

solie Senior Member

As of last application cycle, the schools I found that accept Canadians are:
    1. KCOM
    2. PCOM
    3. UHS-COM
    4. LECOM
    5. NOVA
    6. COMP
    7. AZCOM
    8. CCOM
    9. DMU

Please check with each school if you're planning on applying, though, because the list may change every now and then.

9. cp00739

cp00739 Member

i'm in edmonton...no DOs around...what do i do if i wanna get into a DO school

all DO schools want a letter from a DO..i can get letters from MD's i've done research which but there is no DO where i live
    does anyone know if this is alloweD??

10. solie

solie Senior Member

Hi cp00739,

The president of the Canadian Osteopathic Association is actually a practicing family physician who works in Calgary. He seems to be a really nice guy (via e-mail anyway!) and I'm sure if you're ever in Calgary he'd let you shadow him or at least speak with him. His name is Dr. Ted Findlay, DO.

However, not all the schools actually require a DO letter. Some are fine with an MD letter--you just have to call and ask which ones.

Good luck! :D

11. Ray22

Ray22 Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by solie:
    <strong>Hi cp00739,

The president of the Canadian Osteopathic Association is actually a practicing family physician who works in Calgary. He seems to be a really nice guy (via e-mail anyway!) and I'm sure if you're ever in Calgary he'd let you shadow him or at least speak with him. His name is Dr. Ted Findlay, DO.

However, not all the schools actually require a DO letter. Some are fine with an MD letter--you just have to call and ask which ones.

Good luck! :D </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi, i was wondering if you have by any chnace the email address of Dr. Ted Findley. that would be really helpfull. Thanks