Canadians at US Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zach2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just wondering how hard it is for canadians applying to US schools (in terms of GPA DAT scores etc.) Also wondering how people finance their education (ie loans from Canada etc)

Your input is really appreciated

Thanks to everyone and good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Zach2002,

I am also from Toronto. Where do you go to school?

From my experiences, your GPA should be good overall, or have an upward trend. The DAT scores are very important though, as they are a standard way of comparing students.

About loans, unless your parents can help, it's most probably bank loans or private companies.

What schools did you apply to?

Hi Buckyball

I'm from Toronto also, I'll actually be applying next year but I'm pretty worried about the debt load!!

Did you apply this year? I heard for UofT and Western the GPA is around 3.8- 3.89 Is this comparable to the US requirements? If it is I'm toasted oats because I have about a 3.77

Are your parents paying your tuition or have you looked into Loan Programs?

Good Luck Buckyball and have an awsome new year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I am graduating from a US dental school in about 5 months and I am Canadian. I completed an Honors Bsc in physiology at UWO and graduated with an 86% average and on the U of T 4.3 scale I had around a 3.81 with my best 3 years. My dat wasn' t the greatest (19). I interviewed at UWO and was wait listed and was flat out rejected at U of T.

Going to the US is hard financially, Canhelp is a rip off and if you can borrow money another way I would do that. However, in your last year of a professional program banks are more eager to lend you the money.

If you do apply to the US I would apply to private schools to increase your chances and at that time, OAC english was used to fulfill my english requirement.

Also apply in july, I waited until september and it was already to late for some schools like CWRU.

Good luck,

Big Poppa

Hi Zach2002 and BigPoppa,

I am at UofT right now, although I didn't apply (didn't have a high enough GPA and didn't write the Canadian DAT). I only applied to the states, and I can say that if you have good Dat scores, you're in a very good position. It also helps to have an upward trend in the GPA.

It is expensive, like BigPoppa said. I'm still looking into how I will pay for it.

If you have any other questions, email me.

Buckyball

Hi, I'm going to US school also. Do you or does anyone know about getting loans from the Canadian government? I was hoping that maybe the interest rate won't be as high as private loans. Any information on how to finance the education would be great. Thanks.

CLY

Hi buckyball and Big Pappa

Just wondering Buckyball, did you get accepted already? Also is your email somewhere on your posts?

Big Pappa just curious why Canloan is a rip off. Is that the loan program you used? In total what kind of money are we talking for the four years.
And finally as you near the end (congratulations by the way!!!!) was it worth it? Are you planning on staying in the US or coming back to Canada. I heard they make way more down there!!

Good luck to everyone and thanks again!!

If I can remember Can help had an outrageous interest rate, I actually had a banker look at it for me. I did not use that.

I used OSAP to pay for instruments - they only give around 7000 and private loans. (260K) Its the same debt the americans have but they just have easier access to the money.

It was worth it, because I was given the chance to do what I want to unlike in Canada. I am pretty sure I want to work in Canada - people are telling me I'm crazy but I would rather live in Canada.

Hi Zach2002,

Yes, I've already been accepted to Boston U., Nova Southeastern, and Columbia.

I've decided that Columbia is where I will be going, although I still have some more schools who haven't made a decision yet.

You can send me a private message if you'd like by clicking on the private message button next to my name on this post.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Big Poppa, thanks for your information. You've really helped me a lot. Did you look into Scotiabank's Professional loans program when you started? Also, would the OSAP be in place to cover instruments still, and in your opinion, would this be better than getting everything covered by one bank or loan company?

hi buckyball...sorry if this feels too intrusive, but in terms of your gpa cutoff not meeting UofT requirements, are you implying the gpa cutoff AFTER droping the worst year? I am a bit confused on droping a year part for UofT.

Also, what is considered a good DAT score?

hi Salman20001,

I haven't looked into dropping a year, as it's a little confusing. They say they will drop the lowest year, but I am unsure if they will still do this if you've taken less than 5 full credits (or 30 credit hours) in a year. I think I would be close, but their cutoff is 3.8+. They also want high DAT scores (not too sure of the figure though). I really wanted them to take my American DAT scores, as I scored pretty well on them, but they won't. Other Canadian schools do take them, but you'll have to investigate which ones.

I think Big Poppa said it best when he said that he was given an opportunity to do what he wanted to in the U.S. when he wasn't able to in Canada. I am in the same boat, and since there are many more dental schools in the U.S., it is easier to get in. In Canada, they make it just too hard!

Hi everyone my girlfriend (Canadian:Toronto) is thinking about dental school in the states however her GPA is only 3.4

I have seen from reading the posts here that people are accepted into US dental schools with 3.4 GPA's but they are also Amercians living in the states.

Do they apply higher academic standards for Canadians, ie. look for much higher averages relative to Amercian applicants.

I know there are private and state schools but it seems for both there are only a few spots for Canadians/foreign students so I was wondering if she has a shot with a 3.4.

Thanks alot to everyone for their comments

It's really appreciated!!!!!