Canadians Attending US Dental Schools - Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has come up before but I was having difficulty finding the answer I was looking for.

I am a Canadian applicant looking to attend dental school in the US. I was curious how other Canadian dental students are looking to pay the fees?

From my knowledge, banks in Canada will lend you money, however, it will not be enough to cover the entire cost of dental school in the US + the living expenses. What are some ways to fund the remaining cost?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure this has come up before but I was having difficulty finding the answer I was looking for.

I am a Canadian applicant looking to attend dental school in the US. I was curious how other Canadian dental students are looking to pay the fees?

From my knowledge, banks in Canada will lend you money, however, it will not be enough to cover the entire cost of dental school in the US + the living expenses. What are some ways to fund the remaining cost?

Thanks.

If your parents make a significant income you may be able to get 250k from scotia, otherwise you will probably get 150k at most. You can also get 40k from osap. There are no other sources that I know of.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your parents make a significant income you may be able to get 250k from scotia, otherwise you will probably get 150k at most. You can also get 40k from osap. There are no other sources that I know of.

what's osap

If you can get a co-signer, cant you get bigger loans from american banks? does anyone havr info about this?

If you can get a co-signer, cant you get bigger loans from american banks? does anyone havr info about this?

I believe that is correct. This is what I'm planning to do since I have relatives in the US.

what's osap

Ontario Student Assistance Program (gov't loans for Ontario residents). I think ever province has a version of this.

I'm also interested in this topic. Anyways, OSAP is not too kind for kids leaving Canada, and the max is like 9k/yr., so that provides approx. 40k. From my understanding, Canadian bank loans are also quite bad unless you have baller parents/co-signers (in which case, why would you not just borrow from them). I think you can get 150k easily (may still need co-signer, depending on bank). To get 200k or 250k, you need better co-signers. Seems crazy to jump through all those hoops, considering you'll probably still be about 50-100k+ short, depending on the school you go to.

The best option to get more money seems to be US bank loans, but you need a US co-signer for this. If you have them, I think you can get a loan for pretty much the entire cost of D-school. Interest rate will be higher than the Canadian bank loan, but it's unavoidable unless you have rich relatives.
Check out this website: http://www.internationalstudentloan.com/canadian_student/info.php

Would love to hear from some current Canadians in US dental schools (I would ask in dental student forum, but it's so dead).