Canadians currently studying or working in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DryEye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Are there any Canadian US grads on SDN who are practising in the US? What kind of VISA did you get pre and post Optometry school?
If you are studying right now, what kind of VISA do you have? Do you plan to stay in the US?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Thanx for the msg. Please let me know what happens!

How long does it typically take to get an F1 visa once you matriculate?
I've heard they need you to have proof of sufficient funds to cover your education/stay. Does that mean you need to show them a bank account with a balance of 200k or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a F1 visa to study in the US. As for staying to work, that's a whole 'nother story and a mess I'm trying to figure out now.

From what I've heard, if you want to work in the states, then your employer has to go through a long process, explaining why there is no AMERICAN who is capable of doing what you want to do, i.e. work as an optometrist.

Thats pretty much impossible, and if there is a way around this, it usually involves money and time that the employer would have to sacrifice.

The F1 visa for students is simple to get and the school will help you with the process. They do want a letter from your bank supporting how you are going to pay for it all.