Canadians - did you stay in AUS/NZ or go back to Canada for residency/to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XoHealinghands8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm a Canadian who will be attending the University of Auckland in New Zealand for medical school at the end of Feb, and I wanted to ask you fellow Canadians whether you ended up staying in Australia/New Zealand for training or to practice or if you returned to Canada?

Personally, I'm very interested in staying in Aus/NZ as I heard the pay is better as well as the work-life balance- which is the most important factor for me.

Just wanted to hear some of your opinions and personal experiences on what made u guys decide to stay or want to come back to Canada.

Thank you kindly for all your help in advance, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Members don't see this ad.

Stayed in Oz after med school, I liked having the option to build up my skills without the pressure and worrying about getting kicked out of a training program (it happens more often than you think if you judge by the forum posts in the residency section!). I also much prefer the work-life balance here. Certainly we get a lot of doctors coming here from the UK to relax from their usual pace in the NHS.

Also, I really couldn't be bothered with the whole MCCEE/QE1 etc. Too burnt out from studying already.

Stayed in Oz after med school, I liked having the option to build up my skills without the pressure and worrying about getting kicked out of a training program (it happens more often than you think if you judge by the forum posts in the residency section!). I also much prefer the work-life balance here. Certainly we get a lot of doctors coming here from the UK to relax from their usual pace in the NHS.

Also, I really couldn't be bothered with the whole MCCEE/QE1 etc. Too burnt out from studying already.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate this. I'm very attracted to Australia because of the work-life balance you mentioned, as well as for the warmer weather. Thanks again and all the best to you :)