Oct 13, 2017
Hi guys!

I'm a Canadian who will be attending the University of Auckland in New Zealand for medical school at the end of Feb, and I wanted to ask you fellow Canadians whether you ended up staying in Australia/New Zealand for training or to practice or if you returned to Canada?

Personally, I'm very interested in staying in Aus/NZ as I heard the pay is better as well as the work-life balance- which is the most important factor for me.

Just wanted to hear some of your opinions and personal experiences on what made u guys decide to stay or want to come back to Canada.

Thank you kindly for all your help in advance, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

marble30

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Stayed in Oz after med school, I liked having the option to build up my skills without the pressure and worrying about getting kicked out of a training program (it happens more often than you think if you judge by the forum posts in the residency section!). I also much prefer the work-life balance here. Certainly we get a lot of doctors coming here from the UK to relax from their usual pace in the NHS.

Also, I really couldn't be bothered with the whole MCCEE/QE1 etc. Too burnt out from studying already.

Oct 13, 2017
Stayed in Oz after med school, I liked having the option to build up my skills without the pressure and worrying about getting kicked out of a training program (it happens more often than you think if you judge by the forum posts in the residency section!). I also much prefer the work-life balance here. Certainly we get a lot of doctors coming here from the UK to relax from their usual pace in the NHS.

Also, I really couldn't be bothered with the whole MCCEE/QE1 etc. Too burnt out from studying already.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate this. I'm very attracted to Australia because of the work-life balance you mentioned, as well as for the warmer weather. Thanks again and all the best to you :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads