Canadians doing OMFS in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stuckinthesnow

Reaction score
Any Canadians out there who have completed/are completing a dual-degree OMFS residency in the US? How did you manage to pay for tuition? I was told by my bank that it would be extremely unlikely that I would be approved for a loan to cover international tuition. Unsure if dual-degree is off the table for Canadians (who don't have a spare 150k CAD laying around)

Members don't see this ad.

OMFS residency is paid except for the medical school curriculum. You can always save up from the other years of work to pay for it. Also you can get a cosigner from your bank for additional loans. Another thing is that some programs will allow you to moonlight during the medical school portion as there is no on call then. Verify with your programs and look for the programs with the cheapest tuitions.

Keep in mind that the scope of practice is no different in four year programs vs MD OMFS.

Reactions: 1 user
Which bank did you try?
I know a lot of Canadians who went to medical school in the Carribeans, and was able to obtain a LOC to help pay for their tuition. If you got into an American medical school, I'm sure you can work out something with a bank. You likely will need a cosigner for these loans. It may not pay for all of your tuition, but it will help.

Just a quick google search landed me here.

I'm sure there are many other programs out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paying for medical school tuition is something that can figured out down the road and won't be too difficult.

The process of figuring out which programs accept Canadian applicants and the visa you will need to be on is the bigger headache. It is an uphill battle.

Paying for medical school tuition is something that can figured out down the road and won't be too difficult.

The process of figuring out which programs accept Canadian applicants and the visa you will need to be on is the bigger headache. It is an uphill battle.
You can always save up from the other years of work to pay for it.

Unsure if this is true as there is limited info out there, but a few Canadian OMFS residents in the US have told me that some programs require Canadians to pay the total tuition sum up front prior to starting in the program, which would make it much more difficult to pay off, and would rule out the possibility of moonlighting + saving

Love your IG page by the way! @OMaxFace

Unsure if this is true as there is limited info out there, but a few Canadian OMFS residents in the US have told me that some programs require Canadians to pay the total tuition sum up front prior to starting in the program, which would make it much more difficult to pay off, and would rule out the possibility of moonlighting + saving

Love your IG page by the way! @OMaxFace
Find a program that doesn’t do this. I haven’t heard of this before. Regardless you can always do a four year program at a school that offers a six year program and do the md stream after. It doesn’t cost them anything extra to have you go through that stream and the medical school will be happy to accept more tuition...

Know for a fact if your program is on a list of approved US programs by TD Canada Trust, they will give you a line of credit based on need, I think last I checked $375k CAD. Which ever bank you are with, walk over to another large Canadian bank with your letter of acceptance and they should roll out the red carpet. Look into TD, RBC, National, Scotiabank, etc. They all have professional student divisions.

Reactions: 2 users
Any Canadians out there who have completed/are completing a dual-degree OMFS residency in the US? How did you manage to pay for tuition? I was told by my bank that it would be extremely unlikely that I would be approved for a loan to cover international tuition. Unsure if dual-degree is off the table for Canadians (who don't have a spare 150k CAD laying around)
Hey! did you ever end up applying/going to an American OMFS residency program?