Canadians doing Psych Residency in the US please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j802002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is a desperate plea for any Canadian Citizens who are doing psychiatry in the US on a J1 visa for their help.

I'm in the middle of my J1 application for the Canadian statement of need and wanted to ask anyone who has been through this experience for their advice.

More specifically, I was curious how people addressed the fact that Psych in the US is 4 years instead of 5 in their 'action plan' part of the statement of need application.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of writing the "practicable action plan" myself. As per the RCPSC u need an extra year of supervised training to meet their training objectives if u have done ur residency in the US. I am not sure whether doing a fellowship would be considered equivalent to that...also I have been told u need a new SON for applying to a fellowship as well..

on top of that provincial authorities differ in whether or not u need to be a Licentiate of the MCC to be able to register with the provincial health board. Currently Ontario accepts USMLEs in lieu of the MCC exams but the other provinces dont.

Now I wish I had taken the H1B visa instead...

hey j802002, did u get ur Statement of Need application approved?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Its complete just pending my notarized proof of citizenship which should arrive in a day or two. Hopefully everything will work out. What do you know about this May 1st deadline by the ECFMG? I can't find it on any of their paperwork but the J1 program people in Canada mention it.

I am guessing that the deadline is one that Health Canada has imposed to allow for the 4-8 week timeframe that is needed to process the DS-2019 by the ECFMG. I believe they roughly calculated 2 mths from July 1 and decided that they will try to have their bit done by May 1.