Canadians entering US schools - Need help with loans!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VanCityGurl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to start this thread for students from Canada who are entering or have entered into a US school and how they've come up with the money for tuition. I am trying to gather as much information as I can on how to get student loans, which providers are the best and why, interest rates and fees, etc.

It appears that a lot of the loans offered in the States require a US cosigner. Are there any providers out there that do not require a US cosigner? I am having trouble finding enough providers for a decent amount of loan and would like to know how other Canadian students solved this problem.

I am entering into first year DMD program at Boston University and tuition is estimated to be 70,000/year. The amount is large compared to most schools but I have chosen this school for various reasons and hope to graduate from there without too much trouble in paying off my loans. Any information and help regarding loans for Canadians studying in the US is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm also a fellow Canadian going to med school in the US next year....

Anyhow this is what I've gathered so far:

1) Bank of Montreal is THE BEST... they lend max between 30,000-40,000 Candian per year at a low interest rate of 4.75%

2) Scotia bank will give you $8,000 per year

3) Royal Bank loans up to $150,000 for med school students

4) you're eligable to receive OSAP (if ontario resident) for around $7,000/year

HOWEVER!!!! all the banks I've talked to do NOT give out loans in US dollars! Which means (for an Escrow loan) you have to take the max amount all at once and covert to US dollars!!!! and pay interst..... sucks eh?