Canadians finding job after pod residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpate079

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there are any Canadians here that would like to share there experience on obtaining a residency and also obtaining a job in the US after?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm Canadian and entering podiatric medicine school. As of now I know some residency programs will allow you to apply having a VISA but you are much more limited, some programs require a green card and others will only accept citizens.

I'm Canadian and entering podiatric medicine school. As of now I know some residency programs will allow you to apply having a VISA but you are much more limited, some programs require a green card and others will only accept citizens.

Something else to consider is that most prestigious programs (Kaiser, VA etc.) don't sponsor non-US citizens.
Did you call the programs to find out what they specifically require... At least in the area where your school is located?
Don't go by the info presented on the CASPR directory. It might be outdated or inaccurate. Check post #27 from this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/potential-visa-issues.850779/

Members don't see this ad :)
I went by CASPER, I believe it is fairly up to date, it should give you a general idea of what is available.
Something else to consider is that most prestigious programs (Kaiser, VA etc.) don't sponsor non-US citizens.
Did you call the programs to find out what they specifically require... At least in the area where your school is located?
Don't go by the info presented on the CASPR directory. It might be outdated or inaccurate. Check post #27 from this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/potential-visa-issues.850779/

I checked CASPR, I feel like it should give a decent idea, it may not be 100% accurate.

VA prestigious?

Some VA offer decent training, but prestigious is the wrong word. If you want a VA spot, you are probably going to get it....

Isn't this all changing? I remember a letter last year at our program about not accepting Canadian (foreign) applicants. I could be wrong, as I'm not the director and was not in charge, but I believe next cycle programs have to consider foreign applicants and not exclude based on country of origin?

Again I could be wrong and I didn't study the letter. But I remember getting something about this. We actually had to extend invites to a couple Canadian candidates who met our criteria for interviews.
Doubtful this would be true in a VA setting.

Isn't this all changing? I remember a letter last year at our program about not accepting Canadian (foreign) applicants. I could be wrong, as I'm not the director and was not in charge, but I believe next cycle programs have to consider foreign applicants and not exclude based on country of origin?

Again I could be wrong and I didn't study the letter. But I remember getting something about this. We actually had to extend invites to a couple Canadian candidates who met our criteria for interviews.
Doubtful this would be true in a VA setting.

Thats great to hear! Are you currently working with any Canadians?