Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Canadians getting an American degree and then working in Canada

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by {:(, Nov 27, 2005.

1. {:(

{:( Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are American medical degrees treated like other foreign degrees when trying to get a Canadian residency? I have both an American and Canadian citizenship, and I definitely think I will have a higher chance of getting to an American institution, especially since I am attending Univ. of Washington. However I want to live in Vancouver. Is it any easier for people with American degrees rather than Caribbean degrees to get a residency spot in Canada? I know Canadian grads get first choice (Toronto/Vancouver... no hope there) and I would most likely get a rural spot, but will I have to wait for years and years like some FMG? Should I just transfer to the University of British Columbia (they did accept me as an undergrad before) and hope for the best there?

2. SMRT

SMRT Member
    5+ Year Member

Methinks this will be moved to the Canada forum, but anyways...

Grads from US LCME-accredited schools can match in the first round of CaRMS just like grads from Canadian schools. And since you are a citizen you won't have to worry about visas and what not. I'm not sure whether you have to write the MCCQE or if they accept the USMLE though. You should definitely do a clerkship elective at at least a couple of Canadian schools.

Your best bet is to contact CaRMS to find out the details. www.carms.ca