Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Canadians going to US dental schools HELP!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by VanCityGurl, Apr 10, 2004.

1. VanCityGurl

VanCityGurl Junior Member

Hey Guys,

I have a few questions on how I might transition from Canada into a US dental school more smoothly. What should I be doing before I start school? Where can I get information for the following:

1. Student Loans - Different types of loans, credit lines, which offers the best rate.

2. Student Visa - Where and how do I obtain one.

3. How much does a dental student need per month for rent, food, other?

I'm entering BU and tuition is crazy there. I was wondering if there are other ways to lower costs. If anyone else is going to BU PM me!! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hello VanCityGurl, I have already accomplished the first two items on your list. In reality, you will need to have item 1 before you can get item 2 (unless you have a lot of money which will allow you to survive first year dental school).

You can contact various banks in Canada to ask about what loans/credit line they have available. For me, I have received a $125,000 Cdn. credit line from RBC. You can check out the details of this credit line here:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/personalloans/rcl_for_students_pro.html

A lot of Canadians also rely on CanHelp, but I think they have a lot of hidden charges and interest that is not worthwhile for me to pursue at this time. However, if you are interested, you can check it out here and requrest an information booklet (But expect significant processing delays if you do apply).

http://www.internationalstudentloan.com/canadian_student/index.htm

In order to obtain a student visa (or I-20), you must show the school that you are going to that you have enough financial resources to last you for the whole first year of schooling. This proof can be documentations from the bank, your sponsors, etc....just as long as your total resources will exceed the total cost stated by your school for that year. To get the I-20, all you have to do is to send the financial documentations to your U.S. school's International Student Services and they will prepare and send you the I-20 application. What you do after is to bring the I-20 application to the customs office at the border and get them to sign it (I think you have to pay around $100 U.S. processing fee) and you can get the customs to sign it ONLY within 90 days from the start of class. After that, you are considered a visa student!

This will depend on the individual. Since you are going to live in Boston, your housing cost will be somewhat on the higher end. You can check out some online classified on housing to estimate the cost. I guess I will leave this question for BU students to answer.

4. yukon_dude

yukon_dude Junior Member

Has anyone else faced the problem of what a your significant will do in the states without a working VISA? Maybe I'm one of the few older applicants who faces this situation. Working VISAs take a long while to get, and are job-dependent. My fiance would be moving with me if I went to a US school, but I think she would get bored without being able to work. Any suggestions or experience with this would help...

Good luck with your applications everyone

5. yukon_dude

yukon_dude Junior Member

Forgive me in advance if this is a rude question.

What sources of money have you Canadian comrads found for your education? When the total cost of some schools runs over 250k, in US dollars, =~325CDN :eek: , it becomes difficult to find sources for that much cash. Here are some sources I've found, in totals:
    Canada student loans for health studies: 60k CDN
    Student lines of credit: 60k CDN
    Loans against my mom's house as security: ---k CND

The total is still less than 325. Using unsecured loans to make up the difference is possible, but they have intrest rates of about 10% - not very nice.

I'm sure there is a way. Maybe I should talk to a different banker.

Thanks for your help!

6. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    As I've stated previously, if you are going to a professional school, RBC has a credit line available that is $125,000 Cdn. You can also get CanHelp which gives you up to $25,000 U.S annually without a co-signer and $45,000 U.S with co-signer. However, what you might have to sacrifice extra money for hidden costs and interest.

7. Hot-n-Aml

Hot-n-Aml Part-time Canadian...
    7+ Year Member

Yukon_dude,

You mentioned a 'Canadian loan for Health studies'. What is that exactly, who can apply, and who offers it?

Thanks,
    Hot-n-Aml

8. yukon_dude

yukon_dude Junior Member

I found out about it at the bank. Its a federal loan program, like canada student loans, but offers about 15k/year for health studies people. All of the Canadian banks should be able to offer it. I think the intrest rates are fairly good with it.
    I hope this helps.