Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Canadians plz help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Endri, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Endri

Endri New Member

Hi I am a high school student (in Canada) in grade 12 about to graduate and go to university.
    I have applied and have been accepted by the university of Toronto (St. George) and York university. My average is 92%.
    I would like to go to medicine but don't know which univesity would be better for the first 3-4 years.
    I hear that that in York you can get a higher everage but not do well in the MCAT and in UofT they say you will ont get a good enough average but can do better in the MCAT.

Could you please give me an advice based on your personal expericies?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Endri,

As a fellow Canadian who went to U of T with a similar average to yourself in high school I would HIGHLY recommend you to go to York. All my friends feel this way TRUST ME!!!!! We all said after the first year of undergrad that we should have gone to York.

Don't get me wrong I did alright at U of T (despite an being very sick for my first 3 years), I had a 3.53, but have friends that went to York (with much lower averages than me in high school) and did so well and subsequently got into medical school faster than myself.

YES you will DEFINETLY get a higher average at york and your GPA IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! as for not doing as well on the MCAT that is a load of bulls**t, the MCAT science sections are not bad at all.... and York definetly covers all the sections VERY well.... plus you can always take a Kaplan or Princeton review course. Alot of the MCAT is also high school material so you have NOTHING to worry about if you go to York.

The big advantage U of T has is that you can take a more diverse range of science courses, which therefore might be more interesting. BUT if you want to go to medicine, remember your GPA is the MOST important thing, MCATs you can always redo (as I have 4 times!!! due to the verbal section) and still get in.

Anyhow, ALL my friends in medicine or who wanted to go all REGRET NOT going to YORK, DON'T make the same mistake! many friends of mine took summer school at York U, namely ORganic Chem or other science courses. Even some friends took courses throughout the year to boost their GPA and got 90's (which is unheard of at U of T).

SO GO TO YORK! Anyhow, it is a more sociable atmosphere!

4. ify

ify Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd say it depends on what you want. if you are interested in the quality of education, go to U of T. I'm not saying this to put York down, but I went to a high school that is 5 minutes from York, and have lots of friends there. I can tell you that for some courses, I know double the amount of stuff they know. Also, if you are interested in the reputation (which will become important if you apply to American medical schools), then you should go to U of T.
    If you want to get a good GPA very easily, go to York. If you want to sweat for your GPA, go to U of T. I don't think it is impossible to get a very high GPA from U of T. You seem to have strong high school average, although I'll warn you that it doesn't always correlate with University GPA. I had a high school average of 99%, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.95 at U of T, and yes, I did get into medical school. I'd say it can be done.
    It really depends. If you think you can handle U of T (including less time for non-academic things, lots of discipline, large impersonal classes), then go for it. Also, if you have no intention of applying outside Canada, York will probably be a good idea.
    But whatever you do, think a lot before you decide what undergrad major to go into, because it can determine what GPA you get. try to explore a little in first year, because if you restrict yourself to things you liked and did well in during your high school years, you might be in for a surprise (eg, I loved Grade 13 calculus, and got 100% on it, but I disliked 1st year calculus, and got 85% on it). After first year, pick something you liked, and did well in. That way studing won't be hell (because you like the stuff), plus you are good at it.
    Sorry, this post is long, but I thought you should get a different perspective as well. oh, and I don't regret going to U of T.

5. eve76

eve76 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Endri,
    I went to U of T and I have a lot of friends who went to York, and I agree that it is much easier to get a great GPA at York than U of T. I also agree that it isn't impossible to do well at U of T, but it is more difficult and you probably will have to work harder.
    On the other hand, the course offerings are in my opinion better at U of T, especially if you're planning on studying science, and the education is probably better overall.
    However, if I could go back, I would probably have gone to York, or even Scarborough campus of U of T, simply because it would have probably made the whole getting-into-med-school thing somewhat easier. Also, I think the learning environment is less competitive at York; the people I know who go to York tend to enjoy the experience, whereas I know a lot of people at U of T who really hate the school.
    Again, though, it isn't impossible to do well at U of T, as the previous poster demonstrates, it can certainly be done. And contrary to what another poster said, it's not impossible to get 90s at U of T, but you do have to work for them.
    I also think if you're really interested in science and especially research, it's much better to go to U of T even though you may not do as well, just because of the opportunities there. Otherwise, York is a good choice too. Or other schools in Canada, if you got into them.
    Hope that helps, good luck deciding,
    eve

6. bruciebaby45

bruciebaby45 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Forget the MCAT and do not let medical school dictate where you do your undergrad. Who is to say you will still want to go into medicine four years from now. I know a lot of people that wanted to enter medicine when they got to university, but very few who still do. If you stay on top of things (both academically and with the application process) and put in enough work at either school you will get in, so choose the school you would rather spend the next four years at.
    Bruce

7. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

Have you tried http://b19.ezboard.com/bpremed101 ?

It's primarily for Canadian premeds. I used to lurk over there until I moved here because I don't plan on applying in Canada.

8. Endri

Endri New Member

Thanks everyone for you advice. I apreciate it.

9. winstonm

winstonm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

York, for all the reasons above.

Really, I would say neither. Both are big schools and it will be hard to get to know your profs well enough to get GOOD letters.

As for the rep of the schools when applying to the US, someone from york got into stanford recently.

Keep in mind your courses at UofT will be curved. Since St. George only increased its first-year class by maybe 5-10% (most double-cohort kids were accepted at UTSC or UTM), you will be competing for a few A's against generally smarter people than would be the case at York.