Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Canadians studying in Ireland: Financial matters

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by ftcnt, May 3, 2007.

1. ftcnt

ftcnt Junior Member

I'm wondering on the different strategies people have used to pay the astronomical tuition that the Irish Medical Schools charge. What you used (i.e. LOC, private loans, scholarships, Canhelp loans etc..)

I just cant get my head around it. I'm working now but I want to go to medical school yet at this rate, it will take me forever to save the type of money needed to pay for school. I would like to hear stories of how people have approached it and found funding for their medical education in Ireland.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sage880

Sage880 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Get a loan. You never see the money so it doesn't feel like the tuition is coming out of your pocket. Pay it back when you're working.

4. eg77

eg77 Member

That's a factor that we are all struggling with. I went to TD bank and RBC and they can give you a LOC for $150, 000. The problem is the max you can take out per year is $37, 500. That will barely cover the tution at TCD for the first year; assuming that tution increases every year, we'd be screwed. I haven't looked into Canhelp, but I asked the BC provincial student loan office and they said there are a couple of scholarships that we can qualify for. The max is $3000 each year. Scholarships for studying abroad differs between provinces. Anyways, a LOC alone isn't enough. So I'm thinking of getting 2 line of credits from different banks. I still haven't looked into National Student Loans so we'll see where that goes.

All the best

5. ftcnt

ftcnt Junior Member

i think thats why i asked this for the students are arranging to go there for the start of the next school year and also for those like me that are looking at Ireland as a serious option.

at this rate, its going to cost well over 250,000 canadian..maybe more to finish it. considering this and the reality that residency spots most likely will be in the area of FM, IM or psychiatry (yes I am making a generalization but I'm also being realistic), it could take a while for anyone who goes there to pay back a loan of this size. It is a mortgage on a house in most Canadian cities, maybe not Toronto or Vancouver but still!