Canadians studying medicine in the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgillsweetie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all Canadians studying med in the USA:

Can you help guide me on how I can pay for my education? I just received news that I was accepted at albnay medical college.

I found that TERI loans (CanHelp) can give me 25,000 US without a co-signer. Are there any others??

Also, I have been searching for scholarships, but haven't been lucky +pissed+ Are there any??

I just feel a bit bogged down by the size of the loans....

Thanks.

mcgillsweetie

Members don't see this ad.

Even though you will be studying in America, you are still elgible to receive Canadian National Student Loans. In Ontario students, regardless of where they study, apply to OSAP. I'm unsure what the process is in other provinces, but I know you can borrow. It's not much, about $12 000 Canadian per year, but it helps, since it is interest free. There are also millenium bursaries, which are about $3000.

If you are really in need, and you know that you will be able to pay off loans after you get your MD, don't be afraid to take out the max loan (180 000 from CanHelp, at 45000 per year). The required co-signer CAN be a Canadian. But see also if Albany won't be giving you anything.... and apply for OSAP if you're from Ontario. Just curious.... what were your GPA and MCAT like?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks piotr13. Unfortunately, I am a Quebec resident, and therefore, my *%/!* province has a rule that they will not fund any student studying medicine outside quebec.

To answer your question, my GPA was 3.7 and MCAT was 31 (6V, 12PS, 13BS, and N for writing).

mcgillsweetie

that is so not fair.

3.7, 31 and u still didnt get in. my gpa is a 3.5 and i have a 31 (11 11 9v Q) and i was given the boot too. for the woman to tell me to try to get a 35 on the mcat, she must think its like taking a course.

some ppl just dont understand.