Canadians that are in US schools, how did you deal with the debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tablecloth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So along the cycle I was all happy and ready for this and having been accepted and getting closer to the date of starting school **** is starting to get a hell of a lot more real.

I’ll be going to a public school and my tuition is around 400k USD (room and board included) with the current exchange rate it’s around 600K CAD with banks maxing out at 275k Cad on a line of credit and OSAP giving another 28K having to have my parents fork out 300K is causing me some serious distress and reconsidering the whole profession, I love dentistry but the financial aspects of everything are scaring the **** out of me. Anyone that was in this situation how are you handling it? Is there any other financial aid available to me? Am I able to ever switch to in state tuition as a student? Any help or insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

As for being able to tackle the loan and pay my parents back I think working in Canada is completely off the table for me if I do decide to continue along this path. Just because of the current state of dentistry in Canada making 90K cad would leave me to live through a huge debt hole. Is working in the US possible? How feasible is it to get an employer to sponsor me under an H1B or working under a TN, am I able to not pay Canadian income tax even with a line of credit active in Canada?

I’ve tried to get into Canadian schools, my stats unfortunately are just not there.

Members don't see this ad.