Canadians - US Dental Costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistrydmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what Canadians who plan on going to school in the US do to finance their studies when costs will be in the amount of approx. $400,000 USD for the four years. How do people who don't have parental assistance (with direct financial backing) plan on financing their studies? Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am waiting until Dec. 1 / when I know where I'll be attending and the exact figures of what I'll need. In the meantime, I have confirmed with my bank (TD) that I will be able to get more than $200,000, but until I can prove enrolment and exactly what I need, they couldn't promise an exact figure. I am also hoping to qualify for provincial and federal loans as well. It won't be much extra (I think ~$15,000/year), but it's interest free while you're in school which helps. I may not qualify as I am currently working as a pharmacist though... the advantage there is I don't need a co-signer on bank loans. If I have to, I'll look for a job working 1 shift/week as a pharmacist, which would hopefully add ~$1000 / month give or take.

I am waiting until Dec. 1 / when I know where I'll be attending and the exact figures of what I'll need. In the meantime, I have confirmed with my bank (TD) that I will be able to get more than $200,000, but until I can prove enrolment and exactly what I need, they couldn't promise an exact figure. I am also hoping to qualify for provincial and federal loans as well. It won't be much extra (I think ~$15,000/year), but it's interest free while you're in school which helps. I may not qualify as I am currently working as a pharmacist though... the advantage there is I don't need a co-signer on bank loans. If I have to, I'll look for a job working 1 shift/week as a pharmacist, which would hopefully add ~$1000 / month give or take.

you went to pharmacy school and then switched to dental? Cuz I'm not sure if a part-time job is feasible to bring in a considerable amount if im an average person with some prior experience.

Basically if your in ontario, you can't go without monetary help from parents. 250k from banks are uasually max for educational line of credit, OSAP will give you less than 40k for the 4 years (depends on how many days of schooling per year) considering most schools have a summer break. Add to that the the US dollar is 14% higher than the Canadian dollar now you would need 456k canadian for most schools.