Canadians who have written both the cDAT and aDAT (applying to States)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ndubs12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've tried searching on this but couldn't find anything, so I was hoping someone might be able to comment.
For those who have written both the Canadian and American DATs and have/are applying to the States, do schools even bother looking at the Canadian one if you've written the American version? Do you even have to send your Canadian scores to schools if you're sending American ones? (I understand that some schools only accept the American one or prefer it over the Canadian one, but I'm just asking in general)

I've scored well (21+) on all parts of the cDAT except for carving, which American schools claim to not look at, but I think my carving score might have put a flag on my application this cycle. It's too late to apply for the February DAT this year, and if I write the November one, the American schools won't get the scores in time. If I were to send aDAT scores and did well, do you think this compensates for my one low mark on the cDAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be a good idea to take the American one. If you do good on it, it can only help you and/or address any red flags on your cDAT. If you are reapplying and your GPA's are fine and your EC's are great, I would suggest asking someone to relook at your personal statement and take the American DAT. Again, no one can be sure if it's the cDAT that's really holding you back. So, before taking the American one I suggest contacting the schools you didn't get into to see what the issue was and make whatever reprimands they say to.

Again, make sure it's the cDAT that's holding you back cause American DAT is quite the investment for Canadians with the CAD to USD conversion rate lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be a good idea to take the American one. If you do good on it, it can only help you and/or address any red flags on your cDAT. If you are reapplying and your GPA's are fine and your EC's are great, I would suggest asking someone to relook at your personal statement and take the American DAT. Again, no one can be sure if it's the cDAT that's really holding you back. So, before taking the American one I suggest contacting the schools you didn't get into to see what the issue was and make whatever reprimands they say to.

Again, make sure it's the cDAT that's holding you back cause American DAT is quite the investment for Canadians with the CAD to USD conversion rate lol

haha yeah the conversion rate is definitely a set back. I'll definitely try finding out what was wrong with my applications if possible, and if it really wasn't the cDAT then maybe I shouldn't write the American one. But do the schools actually tell you what's wrong with your current application? Rejection emails usually say something like "we do not release specific details of an applicant's application".

haha yeah the conversion rate is definitely a set back. I'll definitely try finding out what was wrong with my applications if possible, and if it really wasn't the cDAT then maybe I shouldn't write the American one. But do the schools actually tell you what's wrong with your current application? Rejection emails usually say something like "we do not release specific details of an applicant's application".
From what I've heard, they don't release it when the app cycle is still going on. But once the cycle is done, you can ask them! That would be the best thing for you to do and then see what plan to make from there! Hope the CAD secretly does not go up haha I got to canada a few times a year and I love that advantge lol!

From what I've heard, they don't release it when the app cycle is still going on. But once the cycle is done, you can ask them! That would be the best thing for you to do and then see what plan to make from there! Hope the CAD secretly does not go up haha I got to canada a few times a year and I love that advantge lol!

And as a Canadian, I hope it sky rockets!

Reactions: 1 user

By the time the cycle is done and I find out what was wrong, don't you think there wouldn't be enough time to prepare for the next cycle? For example, if it's the DAT I need to improve on and I sign up for the American one, there wouldn't be enough time to study for it, and if I write it late then the schools would receive scores later.Sorry it's my first time applying to the states so I'm new to all of this.