Cancel interviews and bank on USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

domukin

Mastermind
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'd to take a poll - :confused:

I've interviewed at U of Iowa, USC and Temple - but haven't been accepted (interviewed at all three within the last two months)

Added to that, I have a queue of MC Wisconsin, Robert Wood and Dartmouth for early march. I really loved USC and want to go there, I wouldn't mind going to UI, Temple or Dartmouth; added to that I'm sick of interviewing and broke, so I'm considering cancelling the RW and MCW interivews - which I hear have full class anyway.

What would you do? Any advice?
Anyone know on % of admits (post-interview) to these schools?

btw. cali resident.

Members don't see this ad.

School: Accepted/Interview (US news 2005)

UI: 149/304
USC 290/388
Temple: 197/382
MCW: 263/373
RW 40/156
Dart: 243/555

My advice: Go to every single interview until you get accepted somewhere. Sure, you're broke right now. But spending $300 for an interview right now is A LOT cheaper than spending $3000+ for a second round of application. :thumbup:

sdnstud said:
School: Accepted/Interview (US news 2005)

UI: 149/304
USC 290/388
Temple: 197/382
MCW: 263/373
RW 40/156
Dart: 243/555

My advice: Go to every single interview until you get accepted somewhere. Sure, you're broke right now. But spending $300 for an interview right now is A LOT cheaper than spending $3000+ for a second round of application. :thumbup:

I agree. Go until you get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bah, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, but thats what the back of my mind was saying too...

Thanks

Medikit said:
Don't cancel interviews until you have an acceptance. But you might want to send USC a letter of intent.

I sent USC a letter of interest before the interview, basically stating I was enthusiastic about going there and updating my file with new activities. Should I wait until I'm *gasp* waitlisted before sending a letter of intent, or do it now? When do people usually send Letters of Intent? Also, anyone have a smart way of saying " I really want to go to your school?" lol

Dont be CRAZY. Go to every interview until you have an acceptance letter.

ECU Med 07

I would never bank on anything. but I would call the schools u have left and ask them if they have slots left. if not, then consider not going. but if they're not... get yo azz there! :) gluck.

i would NOT bank on anything like that. you have to go to those interviews. i thought i would get into usc easily because of their high acceptance rate post-interview and I still have not got in (interviewed mid-jan). Trust me, don't make the mistake that I did. Because I saw USC's high numbers and I scheduled all my other interviews at other schools (except Drexel)before USC (USC was letting me interview either right in the first week of Dec or anytime in Jan) so that I could gain more experience. When I did my other interviews, I really didn't care (and I think the schools noticed I was apathetic towards them) since I assumed I would get into USC for sure and guess what...that still hasn't happened. I still wanna go to USC and am holding out hope but I really think you shouldn't do anything like what you said unless you have an acceptance in your hand. Good luck.

domukin said:
I sent USC a letter of interest before the interview, basically stating I was enthusiastic about going there and updating my file with new activities. Should I wait until I'm *gasp* waitlisted before sending a letter of intent, or do it now? When do people usually send Letters of Intent? Also, anyone have a smart way of saying " I really want to go to your school?" lol

send a letter of intent now so they know how much you like the school and that you will go there if you get in. that makes you stand out from other applicants if you know for sure that you want to go there since other applicants can't say the same.

I would send all schools you interviewed at a letter of intent--is that ethical?

And of course continue to interview untill accepted, there is still a chance you may not be accepted to those schools.

Best Wishes!

fateema368 said:
I would send all schools you interviewed at a letter of intent--is that ethical?

no, that is unethical. sending multiple letters of interest is fine though.
and i agree with other posters that you need to keep going on these interviews until you have an acceptance in hand.