BOTH Cancel Step 1? Any advice is much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bevinfo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, third year DO student from midwest. I have taken COMLEX and currently debating whether I should take step 1 (scheduled for this Thursday). Frustrated that my score is fluctuating so much. My goal would be to get a score between 210-220. I am afraid that I might not even pass the exam if I take it as scheduled.

NBME 13 (2 months ago): 184
NBME15 (1.5 months ago): 205
UWSA 2 (1month ago): 210
Free 120 (3 days ago): 72%
NBME18 (yesterday): 194

I'm really lost as to what options I have as of right now. Should I just take Step 1 and hope that NBME18 was a fluke? Would you recommend that I cancel? If so, when should I take Step (if at all)? I am starting rotations soon so I will no longer have time to study full time. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I wouldn’t take it. Many people will say 215 in practice exams will be safe for passing. Also even if you pass it probably wouldn’t help much if you score at sub 200s. I would just focus on improving on step 2 (if you want to take it) and doing well at rotations.

Just my 2 cents

I would also cancel. Its not ideal that you're starting rotations soon and wont have much time, but your scores are too low to safely get what you want. You may be between a rock and a hard place, but one of those is a lot harder than the other. You cant change a bad step score, but you can shift around commitments to make room for study.

Hi everyone, third year DO student from midwest. I have taken COMLEX and currently debating whether I should take step 1 (scheduled for this Thursday). Frustrated that my score is fluctuating so much. My goal would be to get a score between 210-220. I am afraid that I might not even pass the exam if I take it as scheduled.

NBME 13 (2 months ago): 184
NBME15 (1.5 months ago): 205
UWSA 2 (1month ago): 210
Free 120 (3 days ago): 72%
NBME18 (yesterday): 194

I'm really lost as to what options I have as of right now. Should I just take Step 1 and hope that NBME18 was a fluke? Would you recommend that I cancel? If so, when should I take Step (if at all)? I am starting rotations soon so I will no longer have time to study full time. Thanks for your input.

What were your Comsae score before taking Comlex? IMHO you can postpone it and make room for study and take it somewhere in Fall (before Christmas break).