canceling an away rotation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNphair

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice about how best to cancel a visiting rotation (scheduled to begin mid-september). I am very, very interested in the program. It would definitely be a top choice for residency. However, I have a family emergency and will need to stay close to home for the next couple of months. I have found a rotation for the same time period that will allow me to drive home on weekends.
I want to tell the program director at my first choice that I can't come...but I want to do it in a fashion that doesn't piss people off. I don't want to be skipped over come interview season because I snubbed them. Is the polite protocol to write a formal letter to the PD or send an email? Does the method even matter?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CNphair said:
I need some advice about how best to cancel a visiting rotation (scheduled to begin mid-september). I am very, very interested in the program. It would definitely be a top choice for residency. However, I have a family emergency and will need to stay close to home for the next couple of months. I have found a rotation for the same time period that will allow me to drive home on weekends.
I want to tell the program director at my first choice that I can't come...but I want to do it in a fashion that doesn't piss people off. I don't want to be skipped over come interview season because I snubbed them. Is the polite protocol to write a formal letter to the PD or send an email? Does the method even matter?

Thanks!

Send an email. Be polite. Explain the situation in an honest manner. People understand that family emergencies happen. I would send the email as soon as possible to allow the program to make alternative accomodations and let another student rotate at the program.