Canceling an Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the proper etiquette for canceling an interview to a school you already confirmed a date with?

Members don't see this ad.

Let them know ASAP so they might be able to schedule someone else. I’d email and follow up with a call. Can you do it on the student portal? Think hard about canceling any interviews until you have an acceptance in your hands(or email).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
What's the proper etiquette for canceling an interview to a school you already confirmed a date with?
Email is fine. Just thank them for the opportunity and let them know your intention to withdraw your application. The sooner the better so that someone else can use that seat. Both the school and one lucky applicant will appreciate it. As candbgirl said though, there is no take-backsies once you send this email.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to remove mine via the portal.

April __, 2019

Dear _________________:

After careful deliberation, I must respectfully cancel my interview and withdraw from consideration for the X SCHOOL Class of 20__. Though I am withdrawing my application from consideration, I have been very impressed with X SCHOOL and will continue to share my positive experience with others.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
April __, 2006

Dear _________________:

After careful deliberation, I must respectfully cancel my interview and withdraw from consideration for the X SCHOOL Class of 20__. Though I am withdrawing my application from consideration, I have been very impressed with X SCHOOL and will continue to share my positive experience with others.

Sincerely,
2006???

I would say do not use this template pre-interview because “I have been impressed with X SCHOOL” implies one visited the campus and learned about the school.

Reactions: 1 user
2006???

I would say do not use this template pre-interview because “I have been impressed with X SCHOOL” implies one visited the campus and learned about the school.
Edited to 2019. Thanks for catching that nit.

I disagree that saying one has been impressed implies that one has visited the campus. I would assume that the applicant did his/her research and was impressed (at least enough to apply). That said, I am not sure the second line is essential, although I thought it polite to conclude with a compliment.

Reactions: 1 user